the dream engine/tranny

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
totaled93mx3GS

the dream engine/tranny

Post by totaled93mx3GS »

ok... assuming that money is no option here, what would be the best engine/intercooler/turbo/tranny/etc. to drop in the mx-3? I've decided to shock the world and try and make a drag-worthy mx-3, that is still street capable. I'm interested in doing a mod to it to make it rear wheel drive also.<P>suggestions? has this been done before? if so, is there a website?
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Re: the dream engine/tranny

Post by Buff1110 »

rx-7 twin turbo rotary engine from the 3rd gens.<BR>marcos acosta runs 7's i believe<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

rx7 twin turbo...wait someone said this already.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
totaled93mx3GS

Post by totaled93mx3GS »

what tranny do they use with it? and is the vehicle converted to rear wheel drive? did they basically gut the mx-3 and stuff all of the rx-7 into it? is there an article about this swap anywhere? anyone know where i can buy one? what year is the 3rd gen? you've got me really interested, i hadn't heard of this swap yet. i was thinking the BPD 1.8L DOHC... but this sounds much better.... i wanna know more!
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by totaled93mx3GS:<BR><STRONG>what tranny do they use with it? and is the vehicle converted to rear wheel drive? did they basically gut the mx-3 and stuff all of the rx-7 into it? is there an article about this swap anywhere? anyone know where i can buy one? what year is the 3rd gen? you've got me really interested, i hadn't heard of this swap yet. i was thinking the BPD 1.8L DOHC... but this sounds much better.... i wanna know more!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's a 7 sec drag racer, that should tell you a lot. Lots of sponsors, lots of dollars. There's not much MX-3 there except the body. Yeah, it's RWD.<BR>No, you can't run it on the street.<P>My dream engine? Ferrari V-12, vintage 1963, and I'd leave it in the 250 GT SWB chassis and body.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

The FE3 is a pretty beefy motor. Search the 1st gen performance forum on Probetalk for FE3. Here's some <A HREF="http://plaza.ufl.edu/mugen23/FE.htm" TARGET=_blank>pics</A> from my site.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

actually, marcos acosta has a 3-rotor twin turbo out of the mazda cosmo. ;)
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I'd say Jet engine, probably cost the same as making your mx into a Rotary powered RWD car. As for brakes.......... ;)
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buff1110:<BR><STRONG>rx-7 twin turbo rotary engine from the 3rd gens.<BR>marcos acosta runs 7's i believe<BR>Dan</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The engine Marcos Acosta runs is a 20B engine. I could be wrong, but this engine was never in a production RX-7. I do like the suggestion of staying in the Mazda family. If you want to "shock the world" I'd go with the FE engine Dave said. You'll have to upgrade the internals anyway so get a nice block that has the most displacment you can get, and that has the capability of high HP figures. I think that the 2.0L engine is the biggest 4 cyl mazda makes that will fit in our car, but I could be wrong. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

money is no option? Prepetual motion machine would be pretty cool, and cheap once you got past developmental stages.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

I'd try putting in a 5.0L Mustang engine in! Hey if it can be done to a Miata, why not an MX-3? :D <BR>Anybody know how to win the lottery? I want MONEY!lol :D
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

I belive that the 20B 3 rotor twin turbo engine came in the 99 or 2000 RX-7 in japan.<P>As for the drag car.<P>get a wrecked 93-95 GT-R AWD from japan. built on the protoge/323/MX-3 chassis) These things were used as rally cars and have aroud 220 H.P.<P>Swap over the complete drive train and suspension, crank up the boost and hold on. :D
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”