KN Airfilter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RiP401k

KN Airfilter

Post by RiP401k »

I have just started to up grade my 1995 MX-3 that i got on Easter Weekend. I got my self some polish for the head light, compound scratch remover for the body. I also got pedals which were easy to put in. <P>Now here is the tricky part. The that i got recommended by to see form my local Part Store for Preformance car upgrading gave me a KN Airfilter. He said take old one off and slip new one on. Well it did not work that way, after rain and oil all over me and me yelling in French at the car and to mr. nobody, i ended up putting old one back on. <P>Any help would be helpful, so when i go back monday, i can aleast suggest something.<P> :)
pelado

Re: KN Airfilter

Post by pelado »

Without more information, I don't think anyone can give you any advice.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
RiP401k

Post by RiP401k »

Well i can find the production number on the box of the filter. So what else info do i need to supplie. I am not really car smart. I am learning how to do stuff on my car day to day. So what kind of stuff am i missing that might help you guys out to help me out. :confused:
raidermaniac

Post by raidermaniac »

are you changing oil filter or air filter?you shouldnt get oil on you from changing an air filter.do you know where the air filter goes?
all i ask is that morgan die in a car crash
RiP401k

Post by RiP401k »

your telling me that your engine is totally all free, when you do repairs?<P>And ya i know were the airfilter is...
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

Hi, I put a K&N stock replacementy filter element in my car, (the stock paper one cost $60 and the K&N was only 90 and never needs changing) It popped in perfectly actualy easier than the stock one because it is a little thinner. I didn't notice a significant power increase though until I removed the big long duct than goes over top of the rad. I thought that it looked a bit restrictive, apparently it was, the car now sounds a little louder and feels more powerful.
back alley

Post by back alley »

what is the purpose of the long duct & is it ok to remove it? has there been any adverse effect from taking it off?
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

I haven't noticed any adverse effect. I think the pipe reduces noise (it was louder when off and looked like it could be shaped for noise reduction.) It is possible you might get a a warmer intake charge. Try it though, it takes like 2 minutes to take off and you can put it back as quickly if you don't like it. the only obvious downer is that you loose the hood prop rod clip, I have mine just sitting at the front right now. I put a bolt part way back in to keep the rod behind to stop it falling into the engine bay randomly. I'm sure it would be simple to come up with something better though, the problem must arise for any kind of custom intake system. If you look at the stock system though, other than that front pipe, there isn't much that could make it a better flowing system, It guess that any further improvement would be marginal. And I love the sound.
pelado

Post by pelado »

The long duct over the radiator is to provide cool air to the intake.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

but the duct is blocked off....
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

the "duct" is the resonator...used to quiet intake noise
Steve
back alley

Post by back alley »

is that true? cause if it is i'm goin deaf.<BR>i took mine off and did not hear a difference & then put it back on. if i take it off again, do i need to put anything over the opening to the filter box to keep larger objects out? is this a good idea generally? (taking it all off)
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lazzyie:<BR><STRONG>but the duct is blocked off....</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Then we are talking about the duct behind the radiator and not over it. Use duct tape to cover this opening and remove the duct. Duct tape should not be used as a permanent cover.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Weapon-R makes intakes for the 1.8L at a decent price, after I get mine I'm making the cold air box myself.
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

Yes the pipe over the rad is for cold air, but my reasoning was this pipe looks quite restrictive, so what's better, cold air or more air? Apparently more, but more cold air would obviously be best.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”