Dead engine??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Cage

Dead engine??

Post by Cage »

Ok I bought a 5-Speed MX-3 1993 GS For $500.00. I bought the car with the intention of swaping the 1.8 for a 2.5(KLZE).When I test drove the car thick white smoke pored out of the pipe. It did not have a blue tint. The car was makeing a very loud taping noise on the left front and the right rear under the valve covers.The noise stopes as soon as you increase the RPMS over 2000. The car started cold with no delay. When I test drove the car it seemed alot slower than I expected but had good accleration.The owner of the car lot told me he took it to an import repair specialty shop and when he got it back it was not fixed and the white smoke problem started. The import shop told him it needed new cam bearings.Well I drove home in the car looking like an a-- with the white smoke pooring out. I was driving and turning on my exit when the car suddenly gave me a check engine light and the car could not maintain 50mph in 4th gear then it died and would not restart. I had it towed back to my house and pushed it in the garage. I got under the car and found a major oil leak coming from the back of the engine.I thought I threw a rod but there is no trace of block damage.I can't pinpoint the leak yet. I have only experience replacing starters, brakes, alternators and water pumps. I drained the oil and found no trace of antifreeze or gas. I would check the ECU code but the battery went dead from the flashers being on for 8 hours all the codes I assume are reset or erased.<BR>I charged the battery and the car will turn over ..and over and over but will not start. I have checked the fuses they are fine. Any Ideas? can someone post a trouble shooting flow chart? And no I didn't run out of gas LOL. :) I am not a speed nut so the KLZE is not nessasary ...I would rather spend the money on a good paint job and or Tires&Rims<P>Thanks,<BR>J martin<BR>Dayton Ohio
Cage

Re: Dead engine??

Post by Cage »

Oh forgot to tell you the 1.8L has 120,000 miles
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

wow, that sounds pretty serious. I thought you said you wanted to swap a KLZE? Regardless, it sounds like you need a new engine...whether you swap the k8 kl03 or the klze, or rebuild, the price is going to be basically the same. Good luck! (go KLZE even if your not a speed nut....you know you want one....)
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
pelado

Post by pelado »

Could it be that you've broken the timing belt?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Whatever happend, now you got a blown engine, I'd guess you blew the head gasket (white smoke = water). I'd have to say order an engine cause yours has "s--- the bed".<P>Timing belt could be broken this maybe cause the engine seized it snapped the belt.<P>Good Luck, Let us know what you find.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
sneed

Post by sneed »

ecu might have cooked it if u shocked the wrong wire any wire

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”