new CAI

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RayRay

new CAI

Post by RayRay »

I just put in my home-made cold air intake. I used a ractive heat shield intake, a 3" diameter flexible pipe, and a 4" to 3" adapter from Home Depot. <BR>It's pretty basic, I put an adapter to connect the intake with the pipe and ran the pipe down to the bumper. I cut a hole in frame and I stuck the pipe through the hole. The end of the pipe is at the edge of the bumper, pointing downward with a slight tilt pointing forward. <BR>It's simple enough that I could disconnect it if its rainy outside. It feels a bit more responsive now, and at certain times it whistles as it sucks air in. I guess my ECU has to get used to the intake? I'll try to get some pix up if anyone wants to see.<p>[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: RayRay ]
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
codyhoover

Re: new CAI

Post by codyhoover »

reset your ecu by diconnecting the batery -terminal for a while(i do it over night just to be sure,probly unnessesary) then when you turn the car on the ecu will essentually reprogram itself for the higher air flow
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
pDhMiBsh

Post by pDhMiBsh »

ok like 8 months ago i did the same thing but never disconnected my ecu so basically i've got nothing out of the intake and i should reset the ecu???????
www.krazykustomz.com 1994 Blaze Red V6 2.5 in the works, 1995 eclipse gsx (winter beater haha)
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

rayray<P>i would love to see some pics of your setup.i keep delaying mine due to emmissions testing,but i'm going to pick up the 3" k&n filter today and go shop at home depot for the rest of the parts. :D
fuzzy red mx-3
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

I think my ECU has 'learned' how to use the new intake. I drove around all day yesterday (it was about 75 degrees F). And it didn't feel like it got 'heat-soaked' at all. Ran the same all day long. I'm very happy with the intake. I'm going to put up pix soon.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

hey rayman<P>did you use a speaker port cut into the bumper and what was the part n# for the ractive filter.was it a dryer hose that you used for the flex part.<P>thanks dude [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
fuzzy red mx-3
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

No I didn't use the speaker port, I didn't want to cut a hole in the bumper. I just pulled the hose to the bottom of the bumper. <BR>The part # on the box says SF-007, or just tell the store its for an mx-3. <BR>No I didn't use dryer hose. My friend got 2 of these pipes from his work, Circuit City, he works at the car audio dept. I'm not sure what these pipes are used for, I'm just lucky to find one. So I duno where to buy them.<BR>Any hose will work though. Hope that helps.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

3" is too big for these engines. You just slowed down the air velocity.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ZUNE MX-3 Gs

Post by ZUNE MX-3 Gs »

is there anybody that has used the anti-fog light port to fit a ram air? I know that it should have at least 2 90º bends, but you could avoid drilling onto the bumper. I´d love suggestions on how you would do and were I can pass the air tube ;)
BE FAST!!!
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

i really don't understand the loss of air velocity with using the three inch piping,because i thought that every one who did cai where using the 3" piping.<P>please explain the reasoning behind this loss.<P>thanks [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
fuzzy red mx-3
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

Oh well, i lost air intake velocity, my mx3 was slow in the first place. Atleast now its sucking in cooler air. I plan on swapping the 2.5L soon anyway.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

ray dude<P>what happened with the air velocity,no more speed.i just picked up my ractive filter last nite and hopefully install it today.what is the car doing /symptoms ?.<BR>i hope nothing to serious.<P>see ya :eek:
fuzzy red mx-3
ZUNE MX-3 Gs

Post by ZUNE MX-3 Gs »

The Vaf proximity to the throttle body won´t produce an air speed loss? Won´t you consider to relocate it further on the intake tube to let air recover it´s speed? what about this plus a venturi placed post Vaf?
BE FAST!!!
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fuzzy:<BR><STRONG>ray dude<P>what happened with the air velocity,no more speed.i just picked up my ractive filter last nite and hopefully install it today.what is the car doing /symptoms ?.<BR>i hope nothing to serious.<P>see ya :eek:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's nothing serious. I wouldn't have known the intake lost some velocity if the gurus of the board hadn't crunched the numbers. Either way I think the car's better off sucking in cooler air from outside the engine bay. Install it anyway.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

hey ray<P>nom probs i'm going to install it today after finding more info as you can see from the post on the war of 2"-3".it really claered up a lot of questions i had.<P>keep up the fresh air<P> :D
fuzzy red mx-3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”