Motor Oil

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ke4ldd

Motor Oil

Post by ke4ldd »

I just bought a '93 GS with 120,000 miles on it. It runs great. I don't know what kind of oil that has been run in it for the last 9 years, but I'll assume that it has'nt been synthetic. I want to run Mobil 1 in it, but have been told not to start using a fully synthetic oil in an older car. Any truth to this ?? If so, why ??
Greg<BR>93 GS BLAZE RED 5 Speed<BR>onehelluvaFUNcar<BR>"If things seem under control, you're not going fast enough"
pelado

Re: Motor Oil

Post by pelado »

Haven't heard that. I have heard that synthetic is not good to use on a new engine that has not been broken in.<P>Synthetic oil is not necessary in a street engine unless you're trying to cut down on oil changes. A lot of people use it but it really only proves its worth in the rigors of racing.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
buckrodgers

Post by buckrodgers »

I onely use fully syntetic oil it generate less deposit, got better prefs at high temperature and dose not degrade as quickly as mineral oil. <P>and you don't want deposit on the v6 see the HLA article in the technical section. <P>and mobil 1 is thought to be the best.<P>Buckrodgers
pelado

Post by pelado »

What is this mineral oil business? You into greased pig contests or what?<P>You can use regular motor oil and still get good results with HLAs as long as you change it regularly.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

i've had my MX for about 5 years now and changed to Mobile 1 synthetic at about 90k. i'm now at about 110K and no problems. engine will last longer on Synthetic because the oil lasts longer and bonds better. also if you have any oil leaks like me (minor) it is safer.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
typer_801

Post by typer_801 »

No reason to switch to sythentic IMO. Save yourself the money, and just make sure you change the oil every 3K miles. That's more than enough protection. You might try the Valvoline oil for high mileage vehicles. I've heard it's a very high quality non-sythetic and is only $2/qt.
Jeff Brown<BR>98 Type R #801<BR>http://www.geocities.com/typer_801

Post by Guest »

Hi<BR>IMO there appears to be a lot of flase info on this post:<BR>1. Synthetic oil will leak more if u have a leak since the particles are of uniform size.<BR>2. mineral oil is your best best. I recommend castrol gtx 5-30..i have used it for a long time and i have 260,000km on my ride.<BR>3. using sythetic in an engine as old as that is just wasting money. regular oil changes is perfect.<P>good luck
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

Hey I have been using Mobil 1 in my car for as long as I can remember but my buddy told me about Red Line oil and it is amazing man. It is so good it actually increases hp. Go check it out at <A HREF="http://www.redlineoil.com/dyno.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.redlineoil.com/dyno.htm</A> I am never using anything but now.
Steve

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”