My KL-ZE from Nippon Motors is in and running....(pics i

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93 mx-3 gs/se

My KL-ZE from Nippon Motors is in and running....(pics i

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

:D I highly recommend this swap to anyone with a MX-3 GS.<BR>I have a couple questions for everyone.....<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>My idle goes does this: 500-1500-500-1500-500-1500, is this normal because of the 1.8 ECU?<LI>I have yet to set the timing, adjust the TPS, and so on, could one of these be causing the 500-1500-500-1500-500 RPM idle?<LI>FACT: Right now I am using the 1.8 ECU and VAF<LI>I have the clutch disengagement adjustment adjusted so far one way that I am almost out of threads and the clutch still engages almost right on the floor, is this normal? I think it should be an inch or two up from the floor.</UL><P>Ok, enough from me, anyone have opions, thoughts or answers? Thanks! :D
David Coleman

Re: My KL-ZE from Nippon Motors is in and running....(pics i

Post by David Coleman »

Very sweet! <P>The Idle problem sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Check anywhere post-VAF that might be getting unmetered air. That clutch issue is normal for an ACT. I put a longer rod in the actual part that pushes the clutch fork [connected to thefront of the tranny]. It's ~.5" longer and just made it out of a 3/8" steel dowel.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Ok, cool. At first I wanted to call this a vacuum leak (500-1500-500) but I read this when I searched on probetalk.com, do you think this could be the problem?<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Does the idle fluctuate from 500 to 1500 then back down to 500? Mine did this and I sprayed out the IAC or IAB...whatever its called with carb cleaner, unplugged the battery for a while, started the car and set the idle with the screw on the throttle body and it has been idleing perfectly at 600rpm with no jumps, even when the AC kicks on. If you set the idle be sure not to set the idle with the idle stop (allen screw held tight with a small nut) be sure to use the screw that goes vertically and uses a plain screwdriver. If you set the throttles idle position with the allen screw you will alter the idle TPS voltage and make the idle run rich. Good luck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh yeah, and david or sean maybe: can you take a look at my post about my j-spec ecu and tell me if that is the real deal? Sean would probably know in a heartbeat since he deals with those all the time.<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]<p>[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: 93 mx-3 gs/se ]
Esper

Post by Esper »

clean that air filter! :eek: it looks dirty to me. other than that, nice job, man!
Dude.
acreves

Post by acreves »

My KLZE has been in for two weeks now and I have had the same problems with the idle, and the clutch. I am very envious of your manifold - I ordered mine one week earlier and all they had were the straight necks. I tried putting my brother's Vaf sensor, from a 93 MX-6, to see if that would help the idle and the car wouldn't even stay running. I have checked the whole motor for vacuum leaks, so I believe that the source has to be the ECU or the Vaf.
acreves

Post by acreves »

By the way, what was up with your half shafts?
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

I had some trouble fitting the half axel on the passenger side in. It appeared too long. Don't let that scare you though, I kind of created the problem myself. All it took was some forcing with a big pry bar and things kind of settled in. So you have a KL-ZE in too? Explain to me in more detail the problems you are having with your idle. Thanks.
SmokyMcGee

Post by SmokyMcGee »

Very nice..yes I am too jealous of your intake manifold..those guys at Street Imports sent me the same looking thing with a cracked intake manifold..so I have to use my ugly 1.8 one. The guy at street imports said the 1.8 is better to use because things are easier to hook up.. is this true or was he trying to make me not so mad about the cracked manifold? And is there any performance losses?
eD
92 KL-ZE V6 FX-Designs kit
Sparkle Blue
http://smokymcgee.5u.com/index.html
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Well, the 1.8 manifold will be easier to hook up with the vacuum lines and electrical stuff because it all just plugs back in to where you pulled it off from when you use your 1.8 manifold.<P>But you WILL see a power loss using the 1.8 manifold. The Runners are bigger on the "millenia" manifold that my motor came from. The entire manifold is just more free flowing than the 1.8 manifold. This is where some of the 200HP come from. I have even heard that this "millenia" manifold is good for 2-3 HP over the strait neck KL-ZE manifold. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
SmokyMcGee

Post by SmokyMcGee »

So would you say I'd be somewhere around 195 horse with the 1.8 manifold?
eD
92 KL-ZE V6 FX-Designs kit
Sparkle Blue
http://smokymcgee.5u.com/index.html
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

Hey "93 MX-3 GS/SE", I have the same exact setup in my 93, except that I have a Clutchmasters Stage 2 clutch. I noticed from your pics that you have the pcv valve not going to the vacuum port right above your throttle-body, but rather to the port where you have the brake master cylinder hooked-up to, you should try reversing those....I think that's where it should be going, that's where mine is and the idle isn't bad.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

"If you set the idle be sure not to set the idle with the idle stop (allen screw held tight with a small nut) be sure to use the screw that goes vertically and uses a plain screwdriver. If you set the throttles idle position with the allen screw you will alter the idle TPS voltage and make the idle run rich." <P>Ok, so what are the specs for that allen screw adjustment........just in case you did use it? ;)
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
acreves

Post by acreves »

When I first start my car the idle is real high. After a few minutes the idle will drop to about 700 but will occasionally peak up to about 1500. I have tripped a few CEL's because I crossed the O2 sensor signal wire with the ground. Have you gotten any CEL's yet? I did a search on ECU's and VAF sensors. I read that the KLZE ECU won't work with out the KLZE VAF sensor. My power band is realy acting wierd right now. I get surges of power and then at other times it feels like the motor is gasping for air. Let me know if you get your idle corrected.
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

That is NOT true about the VAF. The 1.8 VAF and the VAF that the 2.5 KL-ZE use in Japan are absoulutely identical. They even share the same part #. If you use a kl-ze ECU and the 1.8 VAF, that should be the perfect combination. I will be putting the ZE ECU tonight so I will let everyone know how it runs.
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Image <P>KNOCKOUT: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hey "93 MX-3 GS/SE", I have the same exact setup in my 93, except that I have a Clutchmasters Stage 2 clutch. I noticed from your pics that you have the pcv valve not going to the vacuum port right above your throttle-body, but rather to the port where you have the brake master cylinder hooked-up to, you should try reversing those....I think that's where it should be going, that's where mine is and the idle isn't bad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Look at the corksport project car, they have there hoses routed the same way I do. Image

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”