vacuum lines setup for EGR? AAAAAHHHH!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
onyx_ZX3

vacuum lines setup for EGR? AAAAAHHHH!!!

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

hyey guys i finally got a code from the car, i think the egr maybe is <BR>routed wrong for the vacuum lines....the pics in the online shop <BR>manual are hard to determine which egr solenoid is in front or <BR>back...which plug does the egr valve actually go to on the solenoids <BR>and which ones are the "connecting"plugs for the 2 diff. <BR>solenoids.... i figured i put them all back togather correct, but <BR>maybe i screwed them all up....( i did label, but might have changed <BR>sometime ago for hope reasons...) anyway i bought a tee for that line <BR>that hangs free when you take out the stock filter box...and i <BR>plugged it inline with the same one that v's from the FPR...is that <BR>ok? or should i tap into the actual intake tubing somehow...
92 GS Black (retired to wife control, but in my care)<BR>01 Focus Zx3 Black<BR>I'm Still Stationed In AR...Help???
Mr. MX6

Re: vacuum lines setup for EGR? AAAAAHHHH!!!

Post by Mr. MX6 »

I have the service disks for our motors I will have a look and post you some pictures of the setup if they have…
onyx_ZX3

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

thank you
92 GS Black (retired to wife control, but in my care)<BR>01 Focus Zx3 Black<BR>I'm Still Stationed In AR...Help???
pelado

Post by pelado »

The solenoid valves are top and bottom, the top valve is the vacuum valve and the lower valve is the vent valve. The innermost hose connections on each are connected together. The outer hose connection on the lower valve is connected to the top connection on the EGR control valve. The outer hose connection on the top solenoid valve is connected to the vacuum chamber. The next to bottom connection on the EGR control valve is connected to the throttle body or intake. You probably know the bottom connection on the EGR control valve is connected to the exhaust manifold.<P>The top solenoid passes air when energized from the battery and the bottom solenoid does not pass air when energized from the battery.<P>Hope that helps.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
onyx_ZX3

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

holy sh*t thank you....<P><BR>that is the greatest re[;y from anyone anywhere on either mx-3 listing that i have had in about 6 months....<P>you are the poop,"guy"<BR>oh and could this cause engine run problems if wrong? i do have a thrown code 16...<p>[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: onyx_ZX3 ]
pelado

Post by pelado »

I forgot about one hose. The bottom solenoid (vent) has a hose connection close to the electrical connection. This has a hose connected to the air cleaner (or PRM intake hose).<P>You're welcome.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
onyx_ZX3

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

ok one more q, i get the connected togather lines, the top of the egr one, but the other one (top) that is connected to the "vacuum chamber"? what is the vacuum chamber? and the one that is connected to the air filter is the forward most plug right on that specific soleniod? <P>but what about the one that connects to the t/b? isnt the line off the t/b connected to the purge solenoid valve(firewall)? i believe thats how mine is hooked up....i thought the egr valve is buried under all those wires and a pain to get to....not on the firewall...<P>thanks though u r cic arse!!!!<p>[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: onyx_ZX3 ]
pelado

Post by pelado »

Sorry for the confusion. I tried answering your question using a shop manual and it, like most shop manuals, is imperfect. <P>Obviously things weren't adding up, so I popped the hood of my GS and traced the lines out. <P>The top EGR solenoid, the vacuum solenoid, it's outer hose connection goes into a bundle of hoses covered by that spiral wound plastic stuff that makes it hard to see what's going where. <P>This hose goes to a small "Y" connector up under the intake hose. The straight connector on the "Y" continues to the solenoid mounted on the side of the VAF. This solenoid's hose connection is right next to the electrical connector. The angle part of the "Y" has a hose running up to a fitting on the intake runner to #6 cylinder, obviously the vacuum source. End of mystery, there is no vacuum chamber that the shop manual referred to, other than the intake manny itself.<P>The line that is connected to the air filter goes to the bottom solenoid, the connection next to the electrical connector, looks like its coming straight out of the end of the solenoid.<P>When the ECU wants the EGR control valve to open, it energizes the top solenoid which opens lining up a vacuum path via the bottom solenoid to the EGR control valve. When the ECU wants to close the EGR control valve, it de-energizes the top solenoid and energizes the bottom solenoid. The bottom solenoid blocks the vacuum path and lines up the path from the air cleaner which relieves the vacuum on the EGR control valve and a spring on the diaphragm closes it (I'm assuming there's a spring there, that's how most valves like this work).<P>The EGR Function Sensor, mounted on the diaphragm of the EGR control valve, tells the ECU what position the EGR control valve is in. The ECU closes the EGR valve when the engine is cold, above 5500 rpm, heavy load, and during deceleration. During acceleration and while the engine is warming up, the EGR valve is throttled. <P>This EGR system is pretty sophisticated and is not near the performance waster people think it is. It's a lot better than the EGR valves of old which were open all the time when the engine was hot.<P>This question gave me the opportunity to learn about the EGR system.<P>Hope this helped!<p>[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: pelado ]
onyx_ZX3

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

awesome info man, that is great, because now my hoses are straight and i understand the point behind the egr system.<P>dont mean to rain on your parade but here is my next step on the non running car issue....i broke down and bought a Mazda genuine distributor...still cuts out at 3500-4500...here is the kicker, it does it after i straighten out from a turn, no matter how fast or how "throttled" the gas pedal is....i thought i drained the tamnk enough and cleaned the screen back there....any thoughts Pelado? Man...this car..i love it to death, butits seems to be taking all of the checking account funds....i just want to wrap it out once more, and be able to peg the tach...without any coughing....<P>i really am thankful pelado....<P>oh yeah and when i start it, the idle jumps up to 2 grand at first..then it takes it a while to settle back down...<BR>robert<p>[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: onyx_ZX3 ]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”