Drawbacks for 2.5' exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Deano96GS

Drawbacks for 2.5' exhaust

Post by Deano96GS »

I went to a reputable perf. shop in my city, and he said they only stainless catback custom exhaust systems he would do would be 2.00 or 2.50, i asked if 2.5 was too large diameter for a 1.8l v6, he siad the stainless piping he uses doesnt come in 2.25<BR>If i get 2.5 is that going to hurt me more then give me any gains? let me know?
Deano, 1996 Black GS<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/mx-three
Bri94GS

Re: Drawbacks for 2.5' exhaust

Post by Bri94GS »

I'd go w/ 2.25'' max if i was you...<P>The Pacesetter from JCWhitney.com is 2.25'', mandrel bent, catback...i love mine (well worth the $150 or so it cost me)...sounds nice, improved my gas mileage, and added a little bit of power. If you don't like the tip, you could always buy a new one and weld it on...it'd probably end up cheaper in the end. Here's a pic of mine, if you're wondering what they look like...<P><BR> Image
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Awesome! I'm definitely getting the pacesetter one this summer.<P>Awesome pic Bri!
Postman2K

Post by Postman2K »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadian_ice:<BR><STRONG>Awesome! I'm definitely getting the pacesetter one this summer.<P>Awesome pic Bri!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey Canadian_ice, don't buy that one. i was talking to Jack at Final Lap, he told me that Ractive is making a muffler (bolt on) for the MX-3. i also heard that they are making an air intake filter. just thought i'd let you know.
2007 Mazda3 GT Hatchback (Phantom Blue Mica) - DAILY DRIVER
2004 Mazda3 GT Hatchback (Passion Lava Orange) - FOR SALE
1994 Mazda Mx-3 GS (Laguna Blue) - RETIRED/JUNKED
1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS (Dark blue) - SOLD
Da_Wiggy

Post by Da_Wiggy »

ractive is making an over axle fireball exhaust(or so we've been told), it is not cat back like the pace setter.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

throwing a muffler on won't really do much. If you're going to spend the money, you might as well do it right and get atleast a cat-back exhaust. The Pacesetter comes with a warantee on it too...it's very easy to install, and it fits in the stock exhaust hangers. It took me longer to loosen the screws than it did for me to install mine<P>Oh yea, if you're ordering it at JCWhitney.com, they might show you a picture of a dual-tip muffler...but that's not what comes with it
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Deano96GS

Post by Deano96GS »

I think my question got lost in the thread :)<BR>all im concerned about is if getting 2.5 cat back exhaust is too big for these small v6 engines, the shop will only do 2.0 and 2.5, NOT 2.25, which is the consensus from theis board, that that is the best choice.<BR>is 2.5 BAD?!?!
Deano, 1996 Black GS<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/mx-three
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Postman - I knew about the intake, but thanks for the info.<P>I'm still sticking with the Pacesetter for now though. I'll see what the guys at Final Lap (Da Wiggy included) think when I go in next.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”