air intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dknl

air intake

Post by dknl »

Hi, I'm trying to install a new cone filter and I was wondering what the best solution is. I removed stock box and just stuck the cone after the AMS. What do I do with the dangling rubber tube that used to stick into the box? Should I also remove the rubber duct that runs from the throttle body to the AMS ? I wanted to run the cone behind the bumper but I live in Quebec and it rains alot here and I was worried about water being drawn up. <BR>Thanks
Kronos

Re: air intake

Post by Kronos »

The Dangling Rubber tube that use to hook in the Air Box is a Vacuum tube. If clogg'd it'll make your idle weird. If plugg'd you'll stall. Just go to Pep boys and buy a Breather for it..think it's like 4.99.<BR> If we're talking about the same rubber duct, that is a Baffle. Shove a Plastic ABS or PVC (white or black) Nibco Plug in it (costs like a dollar or 2, if that) Just unbaffles ,makes louder.<BR> If you plan on running a pipe job for cooler/cold intake to your bumper, get a (don't quote me) shut-off vavle that you can close when it rains.
dknl

Post by dknl »

Does that baffle look like an accordian type hose? If I read correctly, I don't need that but what do I do with the rubber tube that connects to the old baffle? I was also wondering what length should the cone be from the throttle body because I read somewhere that the length of the piping would affect some "resonator" that would affect HP. Can anyone verify this and tell me what the best lengths would be. As for the cone filter, what sizes fit the AMS. I've tried a few and they were too small. Also, do those filters with heat shields built onto the cone actually work? I noticed on my friends car that he actually lost low end torque with an air filter. <BR>Thanks for the info.<BR>dk
Pac Man

Post by Pac Man »

I'm getting a custom Air intake it looks alot like the guy with the supercharge MX-3. It goes clo9se to the driver's side but i'm just woundering if there's any ideas out there on what should i really do ,i'm getting a ram air hood scoop should i have the intake near the holes ? please let me know [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Why go when you can SHOW!!!!! :)
Kronos

Post by Kronos »

After your Throttle Body, the Intake breaks off into a -Y-, One leads to where your car takes in the Air (Filter Apparatus). The other part is a Solid Plastic Piece that Aim's downwords (To me it looks like a Big Plastic Part of the phone that you Talk & listen on) This "phone" part is your Baffle. <BR>Your talking about the Accordian looking hose that comes right out of your "Throttle Body" and splits off to Baffle and -Ams-/Intake I assume. If we're talking about the same piece. After the -Ams- is where your Stock Air box connects into and all the other B.S.<BR>You ask about what Filter piece and fits, truthfully, i never measured it up. I think it's like 3 1/2 inch, not real sure. It came w/ the Kit.<BR>About the heatshields, all depends on the car and where everything is located. I made a Custom one for my mx-3 because I noticed everytime my fan, went on it blew really hot air right on my intake. -(If you want me to send you a Picture of my intake and how I did mine and explain that, I have no problem doing that at all, feel free to leave an address i can reach you at)-<BR>Hey Pac Man, about that Ram Air Hood. I can give you only a Scientific explanation of having the hole(s) right about your intake. Cooler more condense heavier air fly's in through the hole(s) swooping over your intake, forcing out the hot air. I would imagine that it would make your Intake suck in alot cooler air. Thing i was never really sure about, is about rain getting in?
Pac Man

Post by Pac Man »

Thanks for the info :)
Why go when you can SHOW!!!!! :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”