Crazy Shaking!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pcperez83

Crazy Shaking!

Post by pcperez83 »

I have a 92 MX-3 GS with an auto transmission, and everytime it kicks into second the car shakes badly, and then after it shifts from up from second the car performs normally. Is this an engine problem or a transmission problem? or is it niether? what is it? and how do i fix it?<BR>Thanks :mad:
pelado

Re: Crazy Shaking!

Post by pelado »

Since it ONLY shakes in 2nd, this sounds like a tranny problem. Otherwise, I'd suggest checking engine & trans mounts. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

engin and trans mounts sounds like a good idea because we did some engine work on it so maybe the engine mounts are off. Do you know what i should do about the engine mounts? :)
pelado

Post by pelado »

Something I've heard of other people doing but I have yet to do myself is injecting urethane into the engine mounts. This reportedly saves marginal mounts and makes them more resistant to twisting (stiffer). I'll be doing this along with my engine swap since the Mazdaspeed engine mounts are ~$250.<P>Have you had a transmission shop look at your trans? Changing the fluid & filter is routine maintenance. You could change the fluid and filter and then look at the stuff in the pan. If there's lotsa metal particles & stuff in your pan, then the problem is with your tranny and maybe not your mounts.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i got urethane mounts on monday... so far i'm feeling more power to the ground, and an increase in gas mileage. If it is your mounts that are the problem.. i would def. recommend urethane
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

k well i'm gonna take a look at my tranny pan, and if i find metal particles in it then i'll know something is up. thanks man.<BR>i'll keep you updated.
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG>Something I've heard of other people doing but I have yet to do myself is injecting urethane into the engine mounts. This reportedly saves marginal mounts and makes them more resistant to twisting (stiffer). I'll be doing this along with my engine swap since the Mazdaspeed engine mounts are ~$250.<P>.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How is this done?
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

its something a shop would do. Well at least i've never heard of anyone doing it themselves.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

yup, wwell my tranny is officially fucked. So i have to replace but a question i have is what would be cheaper just replacing the automatic transmission or dropping in a manual transmission?
Kronos

Post by Kronos »

If they swap a manual in there, it'll be more in labor due to the fact, that they have to set up clutch,shifter,and the cables that run underneath. The manual transmission it's self would be cheaper. Truthfully, if you really happy with you mx3,plan on keeping it, and like M/T better. Just go with the Manual, even if you have to spend a little more money.
Esper

Post by Esper »

its a pretty common thing for the autos to shift hard from 1-2 and down from 2-1. i'm not really sure if this is what is happening to you, but if that's it then get the transmission fluid changed and maybe invest in a tranny cooler. that seems to help.
Dude.
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

tranny cooler, sounds like a good idea but it shakes soooo hard that i really this it's some of the gears that are f---in cracked or something.
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

Do the tranny swap. The auto will just break again. I did a 5 speed swap and i think its the best investment i have made. The car feels so much better with a manual gear box.
KWK MX3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”