kL 4x4 possible

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
furiousclouds

kL 4x4 possible

Post by furiousclouds »

wondering if anyone has 4x4'd a 2.5, and if they have, which tranny and suspension did they use? i have an idea that has been bugging me since i have had my mx3(circa 93) and i am finally i a position to make it come into fruition. help appreciated.<P>furious
93 Mazda MaXimum INTEGRAl<BR>submission to Allah's will above all. speed speed speed for the rest
georgechicken

Re: kL 4x4 possible

Post by georgechicken »

how do you plan on achieving that? I dont know of any transmissions for the k-series motor that are awd... I did a bit of research into the subject shortly after finishing my v6 323 project a few weeks ago... and its a cool idea, but ive yet to find a transmission to support it.. .what doyou plan on using?<BR>george
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

it would be EXPENSIVE, but there were some AWD 626's in Europe, so with about 15K, i bet you could have enough custom work to get it working.<P>or you could buy a WRX [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
pelado

Post by pelado »

A WRX is nice! You could buy one of these and probably have less money in it than a converted MX-3.<BR>I saw a complete drivetrain from a 2001 WRX on eBay not too long ago, I think it was up to $6k and the reserve still was not met.<BR>Or you could find a used Celica All-Trac.<BR>Or.................gee, the possibilities are......very limited!!<P>You would have to be very well financed indeed to pull this project off. So well financed that you wouldn't care that, after everything was done, you had invested $30K in a car worth only $10K and that only if you found the right buyer.<P>However, stranger things have been accomplished by the well motivated. Anyone see the two engined Hyundai Tiburon in Sport Compact Car recently? Both engines were turbo'ed without intercoolers and both used automatic trannys for simplicity. This guys car got poor marks for engineering but it was the fastest (0-60 in 3.3 sec). Son of a gun, it was AWD!!!! There you go, just stick another engine in the back of your MX-3!!!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
pelado

Post by pelado »

If you want to go the really expensive route, visit <A HREF="http://www.quaifeamerica.com." TARGET=_blank>www.quaifeamerica.com.</A> All the parts you need to add 4wd with a 6 spd sequential trans. You'll see why those rally cars need sponsors with very deep pockets. It'll make the WRX driveline on eBay look very, very cheap!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Not possible.<BR>Because, if you've got enough money to do it, we'd assume [big assumption many times] that you're smart enough not to invest $30k USD in a $3k USD car for street use. If you were gonna do rally, or some other sanctioned racing, go for it.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Redline

Post by Redline »

might be cheaper just to import an older R33 Skyline GTR... :D
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

you'd need the transfer case, tranny, rear-end, etc. It'd be a pain in the a-- to do. AWD cars are fun though :cool:
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
brooksto

Post by brooksto »

yeah i saw that tiburon. The burn out marks were amazing from where he put one engine in reverse and the other in drive. Got me thinking of a dual engine mx-3, with 2 2.5L > :)
furiousclouds

Post by furiousclouds »

thanks for the honesty and comments... i plan to proceed with the project as planned. and yes dave i am planning to rally the vehicle. with that said i was given some good advice as to a possible solution to my problem. thank you again<BR>when it is done i will share all the info, but it will require a lot of customization and a heck of a lot of fine tuning to be done correctly
93 Mazda MaXimum INTEGRAl<BR>submission to Allah's will above all. speed speed speed for the rest

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”