Need advice on transaxle and belts

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Doreago

Need advice on transaxle and belts

Post by Doreago »

My transaxle is leaking gear fluid and I think it might be dripping on the drive and alternator belts below. The belts are making a real loud screeching noise only when lots of power is being used when it is in neutral or very low rmp. if the heater and headlights are off, it doesn't really do it. Does this sound logical? or could it be something else causing the belts to schreech? I took it to Mazda and they said the belts were tight enough and they said it is probally my water pump leaking on the timing belt. Could this be the problem?? Personally, I think that Mazda is trying to rip me off. Any suggestions or ideas on what the prob is?
georgechicken

Re: Need advice on transaxle and belts

Post by georgechicken »

the transaxle is on the opposite side of the engine bay as the belts.. the timing belt doesnt slip since it is a cogged belt with teeth. if the power steering pump is leaking, it may be hitting a belt, or if there isnt enough tension on the alternator when its pulling tons of amperage, then that could cause a squeal... fi you have a transmission leak, you'll see dampness around the axle seals, or along the housing of the transmission.<P>george
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
Doreago

Post by Doreago »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Jefferson:<BR><STRONG>the transaxle is on the opposite side of the engine bay as the belts.. the timing belt doesnt slip since it is a cogged belt with teeth. if the power steering pump is leaking, it may be hitting a belt, or if there isnt enough tension on the alternator when its pulling tons of amperage, then that could cause a squeal... fi you have a transmission leak, you'll see dampness around the axle seals, or along the housing of the transmission.<P>george</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>something is leaking right above the alternator and drive belt. it is a whitish fluid. any ideas on what that is? I think I am going to try tightening the belts, despite what Mazda says cause they are brand new and shouldn't be squeeking. thanks for the help.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

maybe it's your water pump [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”