What's the better muffler?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Rich MX3

What's the better muffler?

Post by Rich MX3 »

Just last week I found out that my current stock muffler had a small hole in it. I noticed because my exhaust was really LOUD! Sounded like a performance muffler with no silencer. Anyways, I'm looking to replace it with a nice performance muffler that sounds good (kinda loud but not TOO loud), looks good, and has some HP gains. I want your opinion on which muffler I should buy? Apexi Dunk muffler? Apexi N1 muffler? or Racer Design muffler? or another muffler you recommend that I can read up about and see pics for. Please give a brief explanation why you would recommend it compared to the others. Thanks.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
Redline

Re: What's the better muffler?

Post by Redline »

search...OBX makes a good one from what I heard...some one on this board has it, there is a sound clip too...
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

depends on how much money you want to spend. I got myself a cat-back exhaust from JC Whitney for about $150. It's mandrel bent, 2.25'' piping. Comes with a 3 year warantee too. I love it so far....
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

How are the Monza Pacesetter cat-back exhausts?
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

discussed way too many times... do a search on the word monza or pacesetter
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG>discussed way too many times... do a search on the word monza or pacesetter</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>People, people, people! I'm talking about a muffler, not a whole new exhaust system. And no, mufflers are not discussed way too many times, entire exhaust systems are! I hope you guys know what a muffler is... <BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Spetznaz

Post by Spetznaz »

I used to have a PaceSetter but recently got rid of it. I cut off the muffler (keeping the piping 2'1/4), and welded on a Tanabe Racing Medallion muffler. It sounds wicked, deep throaty and all that, but silent above 4000 rpm. Try it out.
Suspension Techniques lowering kit, front and rear strut braces, Ractive cold air intake, 16" wheels with 215/40's, full cat back custom Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust. Custom Competion stereo, full interior purple neon lighting.
pelado

Post by pelado »

A Pacesetter catback costs about what some mufflers cost. <P>I don't believe the part about the Tanabe being "silent" above 4000 rpm. You must be deaf to that frequency.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

any straight through design is going to be LOUD. So find the cheapest chambered "performance" muffler you can thats still either stainless steel or aluminized.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
MX-3 Extreme

Post by MX-3 Extreme »

go with the Apex-i N1 muffler, its sounds amazing, not to loud but sounds deep and performance sounding when reving the rpm's!<P><BR>killermx3
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KillerMX3:<BR><STRONG>go with the Apex-i N1 muffler, its sounds amazing, not to loud but sounds deep and performance sounding when reving the rpm's!<P><BR>killermx3</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks for your opinion. Do you have a Apexi N1 installed? If yes, do you have the super silencer as well or without it?
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG>A Pacesetter catback costs about what some mufflers cost. <P>I don't believe the part about the Tanabe being "silent" above 4000 rpm. You must be deaf to that frequency.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I found a few of the Tenabe mufflers. The Racing Medallion has one with a silencer(which looks removable) and another without. How's the fit-n-finish of it?<BR>Here's the link <A HREF="http://www.r-speed.com/Part/Muffler.htm" TARGET=_blank>www.r-speed.com/Part/Muffler.htm</A><p>[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: KNOCKOUT ]
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

run a search on a Type V tunable muffler.. thats what im gettin on my car.. because im running 2.5in pipe on it and want to get a LIL bit of back pressure (exhaust velocity) so i can save sum torgue
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”