klze?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
studman

klze?

Post by studman »

How could i tell if im getting the klze from japan instead of the kl american motor. What kind of things should i look for. Im having a shop put one in and i want to know if thats what there really installing. Tell me as much to look for as i can.
Bri94GS

Re: klze?

Post by Bri94GS »

the intake manifolds look a little different....do a search through the Owner Registry and try to find some pics of each. The Kl-03 (american) is similar to the 1.8L v6 you have in there now. The kl-ze looks different
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
pelado

Post by pelado »

search...research...search...research :roll:
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by studman:<BR><STRONG>How could i tell if im getting the klze from japan instead of the kl american motor. What kind of things should i look for. Im having a shop put one in and i want to know if thats what there really installing. Tell me as much to look for as i can.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Remove you valve covers and take a look at the cams which should read, if I remember correctly, "KL01" on the cam itself. <P>Also, if you remove the ZE or MS8 manifold (whichever came with you KL-ZE) you'll notice on the block, below the valve cover gasket line, it'll read "KL101/101A".<P>Obviously things like the manifold and distributor are quite different as compared to the K8 and KL-03 motors, but those two can easily be swapped from engine to engine. So, I would definately take a little time and look at the cams. <P>I think that there's a few more ways to tell them apart, but I can't remember what they were.......
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
pelado

Post by pelado »

If you're installing a KLZE into an MX-3: when your mechanics call you to tell you it won't fit because the throttle body interferes with the brake master cylinder, then you'll know they're installing a KLZE and not a KL.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KNOCKOUT:<BR><STRONG><P>Remove you valve covers and take a look at the cams which should read, if I remember correctly, "KL01" on the cam itself. <P>Also, if you remove the ZE or MS8 manifold (whichever came with you KL-ZE) you'll notice on the block, below the valve cover gasket line, it'll read "KL101/101A".<P>Obviously things like the manifold and distributor are quite different as compared to the K8 and KL-03 motors, but those two can easily be swapped from engine to engine. So, I would definately take a little time and look at the cams. <P>I think that there's a few more ways to tell them apart, but I can't remember what they were.......</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>The KL101 or KL1A1 heads are US Spec KL's. Low compression, 164-170bhp. You want them to say KL31. As well as the cams. Big square runners for the intake manifold. Go to <A HREF="http://www.google.com" TARGET=_blank>www.google.com</A> and search for KLZE. You'll find pics.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

Just curious question... if the KL ZE will not fit since it interferes with the brake master cylinder, whats some options of getting around it?
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

the kl-ze will fit you just have to use a diffrent intake manifold. either the one from your 1.8 or the ms8 manifold.
You can just call me the originator
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>The KL101 or KL1A1 heads are US Spec KL's. Low compression, 164-170bhp. You want them to say KL31. As well as the cams. Big square runners for the intake manifold. Go to <A HREF="http://www.google.com" TARGET=_blank>www.google.com</A> and search for KLZE. You'll find pics.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oops, my bad......KL3101/101A is what mine said. I knew something sounded strange there.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Knockout,<BR> what ECU did you use, and where did you get your motor?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”