HKS filters

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mr Mx

HKS filters

Post by Mr Mx »

Hi this is my first post on here so hi to all. Now for my question. I`m a owner of a V6 from the UK and I`m thinking of getting a HKS filter are they any good???? It is quite expensive over here but all I can find is the HKS or s Green cone cotton filter. Wot do people think???? :roll:
codyhoover

Re: HKS filters

Post by codyhoover »

hks really changes the way it sounds but not that mucj performance. prm is better berformance but doesnt sound as cool.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
Mr Mx

Post by Mr Mx »

I did think about getting a PRM imported over to the UK but not sure how much it would cost.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

do they sell K&N cone filters there? I'd personally recommend sticking one of those on in place of your airbox. The part number you'd need would be:<P>RU-2710
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Justin Evans

Post by Justin Evans »

I have an HKS and was wondering if anyone could help me with some step by step instructions for installation?<P> :roll: Is it just a swap out like I was told?<BR> :mad: Are there any risks of #*%&@! (Messing) up my car, if so what are they and how do I avoid them?<P>Any assistance on this subject would be greatly appreciated.<p>[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Justin Evans ]
Quartermaster92Y@hotmail.com
***DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!***
Redline

Post by Redline »

HKS doesn't show good results, it has poor filtration and air flow, K&N is always good, but the Apexi super power intake had good reviews, though you would have to make your own intake tubing.
Mr Mx

Post by Mr Mx »

As far as i can find out all I can find for d=sale in the UK is a HKS filter or a green cone cotton filter. K@M don`t do a filter for the UK.
freakuency

Post by freakuency »

if HKS is all you got around there, stick with it. it will decrease your engine performance when at idle but you'll feel and hear the air flow at higher rpms.. if you're not satisfied with that just take that and make your own custom cold air by buying some PCV piping with correct diameter..lower the straight piece down the space in your engine compartment with the hks filter pointing down. should cost about 20 bucks..
'93 MX-3 GS<BR>Ractive Dual-tip 3" Muffler<BR>Ractive strut tower Bar<BR>Custom CAI
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>do they sell K&N cone filters there? I'd personally recommend sticking one of those on in place of your airbox. The part number you'd need would be:<P>RU-2710</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Does the filter hook right up to the sensor tube without any mods and its ready to go. Or is there more to the installation?
hi
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by freakuency:<BR><STRONG>if HKS is all you got around there, stick with it. it will decrease your engine performance when at idle but you'll feel and hear the air flow at higher rpms.. if you're not satisfied with that just take that and make your own custom cold air by buying some PCV piping with correct diameter..lower the straight piece down the space in your engine compartment with the hks filter pointing down. should cost about 20 bucks..</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>what do you mean decrease performance when at idle? like when you're at idle, do you feel a big pull and slowing down? or does it idle crappy? how about the sound performance? is it a "bumblebee" type sound or a deeper more agressive tone?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Justin Evans:<BR><STRONG>I have an HKS and was wondering if anyone could help me with some step by step instructions for installation?<P> :roll: Is it just a swap out like I was told?<BR> :mad: Are there any risks of #*%&@! (Messing) up my car, if so what are they and how do I avoid them?<P>Any assistance on this subject would be greatly appreciated.<P>[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Justin Evans ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>if you have the filter by itself with no piping, use an air flow adapter, remove your stock airbox...be careful not to mess with the maf. *the thing with all the wires and etc.*, then put on your air flow adapter, then just mount the filter onto the opening. the only additional part you would need is an air flow adapter depending on what kind of mx3 you have. the only risks you could have is messing up your car by messing with the maf, but that can be fixed by resetting your ecu. just be careful not to remove your maf in the installation process...which is pretty easy.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
freakuency

Post by freakuency »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG><P>what do you mean decrease performance when at idle? like when you're at idle, do you feel a big pull and slowing down? or does it idle crappy? how about the sound performance? is it a "bumblebee" type sound or a deeper more agressive tone?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>the filter is right in your engine bay so when your car is just sitting there idling it is actually sucking a lot of hot air thus you will have a loss in power when taking off. as for sound it sounds really nice you can notice it. when combined with an ractive muffler you get a muscle car kind of sound. it roars..
'93 MX-3 GS<BR>Ractive Dual-tip 3" Muffler<BR>Ractive strut tower Bar<BR>Custom CAI
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

No problem :D <BR>The hot air problem is easily solved: the answer to your problem <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Down ... ramair.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Down ... air.htm</A> <BR>and even better <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Down ... amair2.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Down ... ir2.htm</A> <P>Easy!<BR> ;) ;)
hi
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by freakuency:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>the filter is right in your engine bay so when your car is just sitting there idling it is actually sucking a lot of hot air thus you will have a loss in power when taking off. as for sound it sounds really nice you can notice it. when combined with an ractive muffler you get a muscle car kind of sound. it roars..</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>are you serious?!?! i've been planning to buy a ractive toucan racing medallion muffler! sicc!!
- team slideways
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

do you possibly have a wav of the sound? i'm anxious as to how it sounds.
- team slideways

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”