poor gas mileage

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jrs1874

poor gas mileage

Post by jrs1874 »

The gas needle recently started going down quit a bit if I turn to the right but goes back up when I turn left. The only thing is it didn't do it before and my car is getting crappy gas mileage. Anyone have this problem and know what to do to fix it?
Jason
Bri94GS

Re: poor gas mileage

Post by Bri94GS »

Is it really using the gas or might it be your needle that is fucked up??<P>If you need ways to improve gas mileage: change air filter, fuel injector cleaner, make sure your exhaust isnt clogged up, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and reset your computer (unplug your battery for a few minutes).
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Doreago

Post by Doreago »

I've heard if your timing belt is going your car will start eating more gas. Timing belt is supposed to be changed every 80-120000km. Could be a bunch of other things too. good luck.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

its probably just your needing as i have that problem with both of my mx's. You may need to re-calibrate it, or change the measurement device thats in the gas tank.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
jrs1874

Post by jrs1874 »

is it expensive to recalibrate the needle? Can I do it myself? If so how?
Jason
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

it takes a bit of skill. Removing the cluster is pretty straight forward but you need to be careful not to break the needle. Do it when you have a full tank so you remember where the needle needs to be placed. Taking it to the shop would probably cost you a bunch... esp mazda.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

Yes, get the needle checked. As for the crappy gas milage, when did you last replace your fuel filter? If you can't remember, then replace it along with the air filter. Also get a fuel injector cleaner. I use the Duralube Advanced Fuel system treatment. Cleans the injectors very well. If you get all those things done, your gas milage should be back to normal.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
Frenchguy0

Post by Frenchguy0 »

While you do your next oil change, put a new air and fuel filter, get fuel injector clean up. Also if possible try to use the same brand of gas. I use Chevron with their Techron stuff already in the gas and my gas mileage went up. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
jrs1874

Post by jrs1874 »

I appreciate the help guys. what is the cheapest anyone has found a fuel filter? The cheapest I found it is for 23.99 at Autozone.
Jason

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”