Headers

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Smokin mx-3

Headers

Post by Smokin mx-3 »

does anyone with a kl or kl-ze have headers on there engine if so can anyone tell me the gains and is it worth the money?<BR>thanks
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Re: Headers

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

Hey Mikey!<BR>It's me Steve, I just asked that question to Jeff Abrams and he told me the fit isn't quit perfect and that there would have to be some modifications made to make it fit. I was planning to put them on my engine while it's still out. Plus I've heard time and time again that the bang u get for your buck isn't worth it. Maybe you'd be better off getting the intake manifold ported and polished. Just a thought, Merry Christmas. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

There was a limited run of MX-6 V-6 headers made for the MX-3's. That's what you would have wanted to use, but I think they are all gone. As for the modifications it's nothing really at all. Cut the flange and angle it differently. I know a guy in BC that put headers on his KL_ZE powered MX-3 GS. ANY muffler shop should be able to put them on.<P>Headers like Hot Shot and Bosal WILL show gains. Crap like Pacesetter WILL NOT. Dyno proven. You won't see a ton of gain, but 5-7 still aint bad. As for "are they worth it?" Well, if you want power, yes. If you dont' want power than no. EVERY upgrade is worth it if you are going for a powerful engine. Sure, some may be more cost effective than others, but so what. You just can't get a few good bang for your buck mods and think you'll be the fastest one around! :)
~SonicRacing~
pelado

Post by pelado »

Corksport sells Hurricane headers for the MX-3 for $449 a pop. They have the braided steel flex connection and look well made.<BR>Haven't tried them, though. Corksport made 3-4 extra ponies with 'em and that does amount to some expensive horsepower. Have you priced headers for an Acura V-6? Ouch!! About $1100!!! <BR>Y'know, making horsepower from a 1.8L V-6 is a lot like making horsepower from a motorcycle. You spend a lot of money for a little gain. This is what makes the KLZE swap so attractive. You can spend $1500 on your 1.8L and it still won't make 200 HP!!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Yeah, Hurricane was the headers I was talking about. I don't think you can get them anymore for some reason. I have seen a set myself. They ARE nice headers! I sat those next to the HotShot to compare. bout the same quality actully. Very well made.<P>Yeah, the ZE swap in an MX-3 is a VERY cost effective mod! :D
~SonicRacing~

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”