Oil consumption

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Ulds

Oil consumption

Post by Ulds »

Just noticed that my mx-3 are consuming a lot of oil, about 1 liter per 1500 km. But strange the car is not smoking.<BR>Also there was the oil on the spark plug in front midle cylinder.<BR>Any idea how to fix?<BR>Also coolant stays one the same level.
93mxrgs

Re: Oil consumption

Post by 93mxrgs »

ya, ur gaskets are bad, read other posts, it tell you whats goin on, should be bout a 2 hour job if ya know what ur doin.. try to get ahold of coleman
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

what gaskets are u talking about? cause i was looking over my 1.8 and didn't see any leaks [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

I think he means the valve cover gaskets. they are usually the cause for oil leaking into the spark plug wells. At least that's what I get from reading various posts and websites.
jspicoli

Post by jspicoli »

I just had the same problem, it's common and it is the valve cover gasket. The front is easy and you could do it yourself,(the shop I go to quoted half hour labor for the front 2.5 for the rear). Luckily I only needed the front so I just bought the gasket (about $40 can.) and did it myself.
stevwhit17

Post by stevwhit17 »

check the valve cover gaskets, they wont always leak bad outside, sometimes your engine will misfire and you just changed your plugs/wires like 5k ago. so you take the plugs out and they are coated in oil, thats the most common symptom of a bad vcg. Also check the rear of your engine down on the block itself for a leak, it could also be a rear head gasket. They dont always leak coolant, sometimes just a lot of oil.
98 Neon R/T - Iceman/K&N, Clear corners, Painted calipers, ceramic brakes, PIAA lights. New head gasket :)
precidiagirl

Post by precidiagirl »

my mx-3 is losing oil too, I lose about 1/2 litre a month but not smoking. I had it checked out and found out my main seal has a small leek. Something to think about. ;)
Holly Ouelette

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”