KL-ZE manifold...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
KNOCKOUT

KL-ZE manifold...

Post by KNOCKOUT »

Since I can't use the KL-ZE manifold in the MX-3 due to clearance of the brake master cylinder, I have to use the stock K8 intake manifold.....for now. <P>But, if I use the K8, manifold then what do I use for gaskets: Do I purchase gaskets for a K8(1.8L) or a KL-03(2.5L). Will the 2.5L gaskets fit properly on a KL-ZE with a K8 stock manifold, or, will the 1.8L gaskets fit properly on the KL-ZE with the stock manifold.<P>I'd really appreciate any help, since I will be installing the KL-ZE engine this weekend.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
KWK MX3

Re: KL-ZE manifold...

Post by KWK MX3 »

Use the 1.8 Gaskets if you are using the 1.8 manifold. But go out and buy quality ones. See if they have the copper kind but if not any quality ones will do. Reminder: bolt up all bolts to the proper specs with a torque wrench. When you get the engine in and going post your results. Are you switching the ECU?<BR>Go with the 2.5 to save you some trouble. They sell for about 100.<P>Have fun!!
KWK MX3
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

Thanks for all the info.........as of now, I'm staying with the 1.8L ecu. Several people told me that it'll be fine.<P>One more question: How can I determine whether or not I actually have a KL-ZE and not a KL-03? I've heard of people getting screwed by the guys in Japan swapping over the KL-ZE manifold onto a regular KL-03.
Smokin mx-3

Post by Smokin mx-3 »

I believe that u loose Hp if you put the k8 manifold on the kl-ze I have a kl-ze engine and intake manifold in my car I told it is the real klk-ze because of the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold where the egr goes mine did have a egr or a hole on the exhaust MANIifold<BR>I got my intake manifold cut and welded so that it fits around the break boost because the ms-8 manifold is hard to find and it is $800 dollars
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

So how does that differ from a standard KL-03?<P>Shouldn't it be inbedded somewhere on the engine block "KL-ZE".
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

THERE IS!!<P>When I had my KLO3 dropped it they were working on a brand new KLZE porting and polishing the valves. I saw KLZE stamped on the engine block between the "V"s where the intake manifold lies on top. Or at least i think. But i know FOR SURE that there is definetely a stamp on it somewhere. If it says KLO3 well... its still pretty good, I have no complaits or regrets that i should have waited. They pretty much have the same torque rating. Isnt torque the name of the game?<BR> And who chopped and welded their intake manifold? You have one that works fine right off the old one.<BR> About the ECU, the 2.5 one works better (in my opinion) because it mixes the fuel/air ratio for the larger engine. But of you keep the 1.8 you will get better fuel economy. Since you have the KLZE, id swap the ECU, $100 bucks for mods isnt a huge chunk of change.<P>Just my 5 minutes... ;)
KWK MX3
white fish

Post by white fish »

I dont think the ZE has an EGR
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

I think you're right, it doesn't. Does the intake manifold of the KL-03 utilize an EGR?
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

I believe the Eunos 800 engine (which is optimal for you guys) does either have EGR or the port to. It's very easy to do with one. You can also hook up the EGR on any of them though if you so choose. :)
~SonicRacing~
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

My ZE engine has the port on the rear exhaust header, but you have to drill and tap it in order to utilize the EGR. But, I believe if you use the K8(1.8L) exhaust header, then you should be all set.....that is of course if your EGR actaully works, which mine doesn't. So, I'll just go without it and hope to pass emissions.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Screw EGR if you ask me. I'm going to be running a Eunos 800 ECU/Wiring/MAF and the ZE exhaust manifolds. No sign of EGR on my set up. :)<P>By the way... the EGR "chip" or whatever you'd call it can be removed from the ECU very easily. ;)
~SonicRacing~
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

I'll tinker with ECU stuff after the motor is actually in and running.<P>Bye-the-way, I'm at the point where the engine is pretty much ready to be put in the car, all that's left is the tranny and intake manifold: For anyone who's performed a ZE swap, is there some sort of a "checklist" that I should be going by? Meaning, I've heard of possibly switching the knock sensor, crank sensor, also something to do with a motor mount, but I can't find that info anymore.........anyone know anything about this?????<P>Thanks.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”