Monza Big-Bore Exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Justin Evans

Monza Big-Bore Exhaust

Post by Justin Evans »

Does anyone have this exhaust on thier MX-3?<P>What is better for HP, a big fat open loud tip or a couple small regular opinings such as a dual-tip?<P>I ordered this Pace Setter from J.C.Whitney<BR> Image <BR><A HREF="http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatConta ... stid=66390" TARGET=_blank>BIG-BORE "MONZA" EXHAUST SYSTEM KIT </A><P>Anyhow I wanted the dual tip that JC Whitney had advertised on thier page but ended up with a single canon style like the one below. <BR> Image <BR><A HREF="http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/monza/mazda.html" TARGET=_blank>BIG-BORE "MONZA" EXHAUST SYSTEM KIT </A><BR>Now I want to know what gives better HP a large open exhaust or a small restricted one?<p>[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Justin Evans ]
Quartermaster92Y@hotmail.com
***DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!***
93mxrgs

Re: Monza Big-Bore Exhaust

Post by 93mxrgs »

should be about the same, althuogh i hear those rust out. just keep the salt and road grime off it, i'd put sum rustoleum on them
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I got it...it sounds pretty good and feels like it adds a few ponies....i got my cat hollowed out too though, so i dont know which is adding the HP. If you go with too big of an exhaust, you can lose a lot of back pressure, and in return you lose a lot of low end torque. Try running the car with the exhaust off...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Justin Evans

Post by Justin Evans »

I've been running with the exhaust off, that's why I bought a new one. <P>It did give a bit more horse with no muffler but only for about 4 days then I could feel it start to lag. <P>Mann did it sound cool!! All eyes on me, at the green light!!! :D
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Two 3" outlets has more opening than a single 4" opening..but not by much at all.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Pacesetter only makes the single tip exhaust for our cars last time I checked.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Justin Evans

Post by Justin Evans »

Link to the site off my original post and check out the table at the bottom of the page. It states that the MX-3 is a Dual/Angle Slant (DA). The only one that shows as a Single is the Miata.<P>I just sent a huge e-mail to PaceSetter and JC Whitney with links to both of their ads, I think they sent me the wrong mufler or else they are definately not advertising correctly. :mad:<p>[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Justin Evans ]
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

dave is correct... only the single is available for the mx now. I love my pacesetter, it has a nice mellow sound, and it doesnt look like an aftermarket at first glance.I have had mine through two winters and there is no rust, still black all the way through. Its a great deal!
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Justin Evans

Post by Justin Evans »

Well guys, even though I wasn't to thrilled with the single tip pipe, I installed my new MONZA. <P>It's a bit loud but nice and mellow, I still hold to the fact that both JC Whitney and PaceSetter are misleading and advertising a dual tip (check the links for yourself)! <P>I'm not sure if I'll keep the 4" single tip or try to get the dual 2-1/4" tips and weld them in place? I guess it all depends on the reply I get from these two companies, and how much I get used to the sound of the one I've got between now and then. <P>BTW the HP increase is slight but definately noticeable, seems to accelerate much smoother instead of jamming on the gas to roll out. <P>I took some pics of before and after installation for those of you who may be interested, I'll post 'em when I get a chance. :cool:<p>[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Justin Evans ]
Daemione

Post by Daemione »

For what it's worth . . . .<P>A larger muffler outlet will have little effect on exhaust flow - as the piping leading to it (if stock), is probably less than 2" in diameter & crush bent. Even an aftermarket cat-back exhaust should only be 2.25 or 2.5 inches in diameter (for a normally aspirated application).<P>The best thing to look for in a performance muffler (IMO), is a straight through design (glass-pack like), acceptable noise levels, & a stock-like appearance.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

hey Who has Pacesetter Monza on? Do they sound nice kinda loud..growly..nice performance?<BR>Thanx
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”