Exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
red67wagon

Exhaust

Post by red67wagon »

I recently bought a 94 Mx3 GS, when I was changing the oil the other weekend I was under the car and noticed that theres a CAT and then 2 other things that look like mufflers. My last vehicle was a 1967 Chevy II and so i have no idea about CATs or those other 2 things that are there, Im used to 2 headers and straight exhaust. Theres one in the middle and then theres one right at the end that the tips come out of, and the exhaust is totally stock cause Im only the second owner. I was just wondering what those things are and what they do??? do I have 2 mufflers???
Esper

Re: Exhaust

Post by Esper »

the one in the middle is a resonator, the one on the end is a muffler. they do about the same thing, and neither are really necessary for anything other than noise reduction.
Dude.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I have a 94 GS with a hollowed out cat, and i still passed emissions...added a little power, nothing great, but good enough for a free, 10 minute mod
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
mx3weasel

Post by mx3weasel »

How do u hollow out your cat, i dont have to worry about emmisions in canada
<B>¤Wé§릤<P>95 Red GS V6 5-spd<BR>Stock for now.</B>
liquidleo

Post by liquidleo »

Take the CAT off. Take a long piece of metal(rebar or similar). Stand CAT on one end and start reemin away with the metal. There is some ceramic and mesh in there. If you have air tools, you can blow out the rest of the crap(watch your eyes!). If you don't have emissions your ready to go. Oh yeah, get rid of the stock exh. from the CAT back and get something somewhat legal to replace it. <P>HEY Bri94GS How did you pass emissions? What mods did you do to your exh.? or what state? I failed 3 of 3 tests in Maryland.( My car was on the tredmill and everyone was staring, because it sounded like low pitch Indy racer) What's the secret?
liquidleo /93 GS Red
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I have a hollowed cat, and i welded a pipe in the middle of it. That way, when they look under the car with a mirror, they'll still see the cat. Other than that, I have a cat-back Pacesetter. Maybe your emission limits are different?? My car seems to run pretty clean...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>I have a hollowed cat, and i welded a pipe in the middle of it. That way, when they look under the car with a mirror, they'll still see the cat. Other than that, I have a cat-back Pacesetter. Maybe your emission limits are different?? My car seems to run pretty clean...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Bri Kid, what are your emission standards and what were your results? I want to hollow out my cat (or bypass with a hollow tube inside like you) but emissions here in Utah are pretty strict. The info would help alot. Thanks kid
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
liquidleo

Post by liquidleo »

Hey, I have a pacesetter as well, with a hollowed out CAT. I still have the stock anchor(I mean airbox). Do you think its starving for air, therefore making the amount of fuel not burned higher? Hum.....Mysterious.....I think I'll just change my address.
liquidleo /93 GS Red
Kim 95' V6 DK

Post by Kim 95' V6 DK »

Will it not make alot of noise without the resonator or what <BR>cuz i dont want it to be too noisy
<I>Why get a car whith more than two doors when your not running a daytime kindergarten</I>
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Yea i think you should get an intake if you have an exhaust. It'll make it sound a lot better too.<P>Taking your resinator off will make your car louder<P>I'll try to find my emissions papers, and post them ASAP....
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”