Intake Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Intake Question

Post by mitmaks »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>If you put a filter on your VAF, be it HKS or K&N, you will have a slower car. You might gain 1-2peak hp, but the lost torque and horse power in the lower rpms from sucking in hot enginebay air is killing your performance.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Anyone has Dragon intake? COld air intake....tell how it performs and stuff...
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

basically what dave was saying is that if you want to improve the overall performance of your car, intake wise... is to use a cold air intake. I believe the physics behind it is that cold air is more dense then hot air, therefore allowing more air to be pushed into the engine...also at higher speeds with a cold air intake there is a small ram air effect...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Esper

Post by Esper »

the next time you're out driving, roll a window down and put your hand out. do it at 10mph, then 20, 30, etc. up to whatever speed you typically drive. the force of the air pressing against your hand is what's getting rammed into the intake. true, it'll slow down some as it travels through the pipe, but the ram air effect is more evident than most would think.
Dude.
eunos30xdownunder

Post by eunos30xdownunder »

My eunos30x, had the lunch box problem until recently. Me and a friend of mine who i specifically chose for this cause hes a pipefitter and has alot of handy tools.... We poped the hood, swapped the intake, then we went to work!!! we added a very wide pipe the sits underneath and scoops cold air off of the road into the filters. Got an increase of about 10kw or in farm speak 13 horsies ....(there abouts give or take a couple)
freakuency

Post by freakuency »

i was wondering.. where can i order a PRM air intake? do they sell it anywhere else besides their website <A HREF="http://www.prmracing.com?" TARGET=_blank>www.prmracing.com?</A>
'93 MX-3 GS<BR>Ractive Dual-tip 3" Muffler<BR>Ractive strut tower Bar<BR>Custom CAI
pmpdaddy19

Post by pmpdaddy19 »

So many people forget that air makes horsepower not hot air, cold air...Think of it this way..Why do people put NOS on their car...A dry kit is simply used to cool the air and fuel going into the engine in return u gain HP...A wet kit adds a potent fuel mixture with the nitrous to gain even more...If you are gonna do it..do it right PRM>>
Daemione

Post by Daemione »

NOS does a little more than just cool the air . . . .<P>There's more oxygen molecules in Nitrous Oxide than in the air, hence the increase in power. Intake charge cooling is more of a side-benefit.<P>The only difference between a wet & dry kit is when/how extra fuel is added.
pmpdaddy19

Post by pmpdaddy19 »

a side benfit huh...lol...then lets all take our cold air intakes back...
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

yea i heard the k&n filter is a best choice to help save money. my friend told me about it too. i've been considering that alternative and have a few questions. if i went with k&n, how would i install it? should i make a custom tube to mount onto the cone filter? does it give a nice sound to the stock engine? thanks for the help!
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”