flowmaster or ractive?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
freakuency

flowmaster or ractive?

Post by freakuency »

i'm having to choose between two mufflers: flowmaster or ractive. i heard a flowmaster on my friends civic and it sounds really great. it has a nice loud rumble to it... but i also heard that the Ractive twin tip sound great on mx-3's and plus its made of stainless steel. i'm looking for something with a nice low rumble at idle and doesnt make a farting noise when u hit the high rpms. any suggestions?
'93 MX-3 GS<BR>Ractive Dual-tip 3" Muffler<BR>Ractive strut tower Bar<BR>Custom CAI
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: flowmaster or ractive?

Post by cjthor »

Hello,<BR> I have a flowmaster on mine and I love it! I was afraid it was gonna sound like crap but its really nice and doesnt sound like any other import in my town!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

You heard a muffler on a Civic that sounded NICE?? Are you sure?? Maybe you like the fart/bumble bee noise...*shrugz*
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Nottahonda

Post by Nottahonda »

I don't know about Ractive, but I just took off my Flowmaster because it was rusted through. In my opinion, they cost way too much and don't have a warranty. Don't get me wrong, the sound is great, but I still get decent sound off an 80 dollar Xlerator, which has a lifetime warranty. My two cents. :p
Casey Guthrie
[email]goesfast@theraces.com" target="_blank[/email]
Esper

Post by Esper »

The reason why most civics with headers/exhaust sound so shitty is because there's not enough flex between either the header and the cat or the exhaust and the cat, which makes an obnoxious BRAAAAAAT after about 2000 rpms. But what do you expect from a 4-banger honda with a coffe can comin' out the back? <P>I can say this b/c I've owned one...well minus the coffee can. ;)
Dude.
Esper

Post by Esper »

whoops, my bad, its only the header and the cat. the engine twists as it revs and pulls the header back, opening up a crack. motor mounts or a flexible tube take care of it, though.
Dude.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

They sound like that because they're Honda's...<P>They're made for economical use...i.e. carting your kids to soccer games, and this revolution of "riceboys" has modded out the car mommy and daddy bought them, thinking it's a race car...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

I have a RActive exhaust.<BR>Its a dual 3" tip / stainless steel. The sound is very nice, mixed with the sounds of the PRM there is a nice roar with no pops or gurgles that you speak of...also it is very good quality as far as I can tell...no rust of course.....basically its great for my purposes...I wanted a nice roar but not an incredible droan...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Alt-Tab

Post by Alt-Tab »

I never dreamed of having a straight pipe exhaust. Like you, I wanted more "noise." So I took it to a muffler shop to have the resonator taken off. After he un-welded it and it dropped off, he told me to start the car up with a foot long HOLE in the middle of the exhaust system. The V6 has a really great tone, and I have yet to find anyone else who has even a similar sound. Straight pipes alone had way too much "bite" so I had him put in a resonator from a Mitsubishi 3000 GT (cost me $60) and he filled in the muffler space with 2.25" pipe and put my dual chrome tips back on. I absoutely love it!<P>To sum it all up, see if a muffler shop will let you "test out" straight pipes before you spend over $100 on a new muffler. (The whole thing cost me $66 but I knew the muffler guy)
Taylor<P>1995 Chevy C1500 Dark Blue<BR>* 305 (5.0L V8)<BR>* Hypertech Performance chip<BR>* Dynomax dual exhaust<P>SOLD: 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport - Flame Red<BR>* 3.9L V6 - 175 hp<BR>* Flowmaster dual exhaust<P>I Miss my MX-3:<BR>1992 MX-3 GS Blaze Red
Mx-3Man

Post by Mx-3Man »

I have a reactive muffler and it sounds sweet in low rpm it isn't to loud but when you give her it is
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

BLAAAAHHHHHHH reactive stuff sucks, only civix and s--- box tegs should have those, i have a 3A racing muffler, and arospeed 2in exhaust pipe, sounds BADASS nice n deep no fartin bumble bee here. i say invest a lil more get a LOT better quality<p>[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: 93mxrgs ]
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
92RedGS

Post by 92RedGS »

i haven't herd a reactive muffler on an mx-3 but i love the sound of my flowmaster. Especialy when rice boy in his suped up honda revs his engine with his coke can muffler at a stoplight and i look over and see his eyes pop out of his head :)
92RedGS :)<BR>I'm Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in. Say aren't you the guy from the Village People?
Coolzombi

Post by Coolzombi »

mx-3 rulezz...but my friend have a honda civic SIR V-TEC (type-r cdn version) and because he have a v-tec he beat me when the rpm move to 5300...its a great car with is header and catback but its the only civic<BR>i will talk about...<P>civic sucks anyway
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

Kevin Gee of MX-West has a dual-tip Ractive Muffler on his car. Sounds reeeaaally deep. Took me for a ride once, and when we pulled up to a traffic light, everyone looked our way to see what that sound was ;) He doesn't have a resonator either.
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
Outofmymindyo1

Post by Outofmymindyo1 »

I've got the Ractive 2 tip muffler and it sounds really nice. I had never heard of them and didn't want an exhaust but my brother begged me to put it on there. I thanked him for it. No fart sound, and not a bumble bee either. It's just got the perfect pitch for an exhaust on an MX-3. :D :D

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”