RAM air question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Netneo

Re: RAM air question

Post by Netneo »

On the ram air/rain question ive had no probs i dont drive fast in heavy rain or follow anyone too close because the mist off the tires from the car in front is more likely to suck in and soak your air filter i def recamendd getting a k&n ive fooled around w/ several home made ram air config.s and finaly got a kick a*s setup that cant be beat and looks awsome under the hood e-mail me if your interested and i run you through how i designed it send you some pics too all together i spent about$50 on parts and $40 on the k&n filter i can feel every bit of 15hp not bad for $90 bucks and 1 sat. afternoon netneo
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

netneo, enlighten me with your intake wisdom. i'm very curious. tharaynman@aol.com<P>------------------<BR><BR>'92 GS
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
Liquid_Metal

Post by Liquid_Metal »

yes please.... I've got this week off and I'm looking for something to do. Please e-mail me and let me know. Thanks!<P>------------------<BR>Liquid_Metal<BR>'94 MX-3GS<BR> Mazda_MX3GS@yahoo.com <BR><A HREF="http://www.MX-3GS.com" TARGET=_blank>www.MX-3GS.com<BR></A>
Liquid_Metal<BR>'94 MX-3GS<BR> Mazda_MX3GS@yahoo.com <BR><A HREF="http://www.MX-3GS.com" TARGET=_blank>www.MX-3GS.com<BR></A>
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Email me too almighty wizard of Ramming air.<P>Talon_66@hotmail.com
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Netneo

Post by Netneo »

Hey guys im getting so many emails on about my ram air setup i want to just post it here the text ive been e mailing back i can post here fine but wont do any one any good with out the drawing that goes w/ it how can i post the drawing too HELP netneo
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Try using the <A HREF="http://www.geekazoids.net/~images" TARGET=_blank>Probe image uploader</A><P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Netneo

Post by Netneo »

OK people this is what your going to need to do first.Take off all your stock air intake junk from your TB forward. Throw it on the floor and spit on it! ***Keep your mass air sensor though you'll need it***Next you have to reposition your coolant overflow.I moved mine to the inside between the Unibody/frame and the engine or in the opening between the starter and the radiator attaching to the uni/frame. Now you have a good size opening between the uni/ and the fender.This is where some of your pipeing will be ran.Note;Your A/C pipeing probably runs across this opening you'll need to bend it back twards the fender well as much as poss.BE CAREFULL or you'll break it. Ok now remove your fr.bumper. Now you will have to cut out an opening in the wall that would be behind your left blinker. It needs to be as low as poss. and big enough for a 4" pipe to run through it even bigger if you can so you'll heve some play when you install your pipe.It's pretty tight but you can do it.Ok also you'll have to cut off a pretty good chunk of your plastic crash/bumper support. I cut all of in off form where it connects to the uni/ over for x-tra room.<BR> Ok here is a key for the parts/diagram I've attached. You can get most this stuff in the plumming dept. of Home Depot.<BR>#1- 3" rubber connector w/hose clamps<BR>#2- 3" PVC pipe maybe 4or5 in. long (you'll have to cut the angles)<BR>#3- 3" rubber connector w/ hose clamps (same as #1)<BR>#4- 3" rubber or pvc pipe w/ about 45 degree bend <BR>#5- 3"....same as #1 and #3<BR>#6- your mass air sensor<BR>#7- (Optional) O-ring for better seal to filter hole.<BR>#8- K&N filter (Part # HR E-0940)<BR>#9- 6" PVC connector/ female-female connector (not 6" PVC pipe)<BR>#10- 6" to 4" PVC reducer(6" side is female 4" side is male)<BR>#11- 4" PVC 90 Degree angle (one side male other side female)<BR>#12- Same as #11...<BR>#13- 4" rubber PVC connector w/clamps<BR>#14- 4" to 5" PVC reducer<BR>#15- your choice of screen to keep leafs, birds, what ever from being sucked in.<BR>Note#1-this is hard to get sealed because your TB opening is only like 2.5 inches<BR> big so you need to use another smaller ring of rubber on the inside of the #1 conn. so you can clamp it on secure.There is not much room at the bottom you'll see what I meen but it can be done good luck<BR>Note#2- This was the hardest part in my install #9 is your air box its 6" your filter is about 6.15" but has a foam seal around it the best i could think of to get this sealed well was to seat the filter on the air box and secure it by using about 6 - 90 degree metal corner supports holding down on the filter w/ the other end screwed into the wall of the air box(6"PVC)Ive changed to a more time consuming<BR>complex addaption now but the other way worked very well.<BR>Note#3- you will have to cut #12-#13-#14 to get the angle you need to connect it all together****remember your blinker still has to go in so try to angle down as much as poss.to your ram port*****<BR>Note#4- on my setup #12 angles down some and would hold water so you need to drill at least a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom for a drain.<P>****************INSTALL****************<P> well here we go (remember dont seal or glue anything till your config. is complete and you know your bumpre will go on,your blinker will fit back in,and your hood will not hit your tubeing etc...)<BR>First conn. your #11 and #12 and run the male end down through the hole you cut out make sure it sticks out the front of the hole at least 2" or so and angles down the best it can. you want it to point twards your port as much as poss.at the top you want it to point as much twards the TB as poss. by twisting the 2 90s around. Its pretty tight in there<BR>Next dont attach your bumper but slide it into its normal position tape it to the fender if it wants to fall or move around.now look from the under side and determine the best place to pos. your port so it alligns w/ your #12 but doesnt get in the way of your blinker when you put it back in. Its TRICKY so take your time. then mark the best spot take bumper back off and cut out the hole where the port will located on the bumper TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!! them place bumper temp.back on and cut the angles ness. to attach #12 #13 #14 together At this piont your port will be all uneven sticking out of the bumper so use a marker and draw a line around the port using the bumper as your guide so you can cut and file it so it fits flush with the curves of the bumper.#15 is your option I didn't use anything myself but probably should have.<BR> Now start by attaching #11-#10-#9-#8....note #10 slides in & out of #9 so you can adj. the length you need also on the small end theres a ring that keeps it from fitting into #11 that you ll prob. have to cut off.<BR> After all thats attached plug the mass air sen (#6)into the opening of the filter. this fits wonderfully aint that nice. you may need some kind of rubber ring to securly fasten and seal it.<BR> Then just attach the rest Useing #2 and #4 for the angles you need to route around your battery <BR> When its all in place make sure your hood will close w/o hitting your pipeing<BR>Adj #2 and#4 angles as ness. to achieve this <BR> When its all good use a paint pen or marker and mark where all your pipes and fittings allign take it all apart and start getting it all glued together but only where the diagram indicates or you will never get it together<BR> HEY dont forget to attach your hoses from your car back into #1 drill the holes <BR>just the right size so they seal without having to use glue for looks i covered 6" PVC w/ polished almn. held on by lrg hose clamps any ?s e-me back.0<BR> Good Luck, Netneo <P> Diag. at <A HREF="http://www.geekazoids.net/~images/ram_draw.txt" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geekazoids.net/~images/ram_draw.txt</A>
Spida

Post by Spida »

Ok i started to read you stuff and well it got way too long. i did a ram air on my car as well but mine was way simple. I bought a K&N air filter and found that i wanst getting more hp and if anything i was getting less so i wanted cold air. I was gonna do the whole cut the hole in the bumper thing but the speaker port i got was too big so i made a scoop out of sheet metal and attached it to my bumper i cut a hole in the metal below and infront of the water tank so i could put some 3" hose from the scoop to my filter. Seems to work good lots of HP.<P>:o)
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Hey Netneo, can you please post some pics of your Ram Air intake, since ive never dismounted my front bumper i dont get how the routing will go, and can you please explain some more on the gains you had with it, im trying to make a Ram Air Intake for my 1.6 SOHC and i want to know if its worth it, other than im worried about water getting into it on very rainy days.. thanks<BR><P>------------------<BR>Alberto<BR>1993 Mx-3 1.6l Se<BR>Brilliant Black!
Alberto<BR>1993 Mx-3 1.6l Se<BR>Brilliant Black!
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Dood, you should set up a free internet site so that all of us can bask in your knowledge. I would love to know how you did it, but as you said it's no good without the pictures...or at least we don't know if we did it right. Either that or e-mail me some pictures of it. VizualXTC@Yahoo.com
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Image <BR>There you go.<P>FWIW, mine is alot simpler. I just modified Sean matthews design [ <A HREF="http://www.acbservices.com/mx3gsr" TARGET=_blank>http://www.acbservices.com/mx3gsr</A> ] by using a Ractive filter on the VAF and putting a 90 deg bend on the bottom [Anchored to the tow hook. Took about 20 mins to make and install...<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Note: that picture is of Net neo's design. Not mine.<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
Netneo

Post by Netneo »

whats up peeps sorry ive not respnd. to your ?s ive been off line for a while moving so if anyone has ?s still post them again c=ya

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”