Remote start Installation on standard MX-3

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
TekPmp

Remote start Installation on standard MX-3

Post by TekPmp »

I am installing a Viper 791xv Remote start/Keyless entry/security system on my MANUAL 1994 MX-3 RS . Given I will have to bypass the clutch switch, are there any kind of safety that can be hooked up so the car wont remote start when in gear? Right now my only safety is that it will only remote start with the e-brake engaged. I am hoping there is some sort of wire/switch in the tranny that puts out a positive or negative charge when the car is not in gear. I am looking for any suggestions on how to make remote starting this car as safe as possable.

Thanks in advance :) -Joe
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Remote start Installation on standard MX-3

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I have a remote starter on mine...if you have a remote starter kit designed for a manual gearbox, the remote starter isn't at an "always ready" state, you actually need to pre-set it before you get out of teh vehicle...this is that i have to do on mine:

-Stop car and put the shifter in neutral and handbrake on (no problem for me, i've always parked the car like this, i never like leaving my car in gear when its parked).
-Press the button on your remote to allow the computer to take over the ignition and remove key. (The only extra step is here)
-Get out of vehicle and close door
-Press the starter button on the remote to turn off engine, or if it's like mine, you can also press the lock button on the remote, it locks the doors AND turns off the engine...now the remote starter is engaged.

So this is safety step #1, to ensure the car is NOT in gear when the remote starter is engaged.

Secondly, if the car's doors are opened, it automatically dis-engaged the remote starter, assuming that someone may have tampered with the shifter...this is the only PITA if you have to to back to the car after to get something, you need to reset the starter with the sequence above, or you; remote-start the car, remote-unlock the car, get what you need, remote-lock the car, remote-stop the engine.

<small>[ December 08, 2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The couple remote starts actually made for a manual transmission usually looks for the brake light to be on, which indicates your parking brake is set, before it'll let the engine crank and bypass the clutch sensor.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

YOur right, i checked mine last night and it wouldn't set without the hand brake engaged
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

sounds like a whole lotta work for a minor convience, just my 2 cents :2thumbsup:
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I would find it a HUGE convenience to be able to remoptre start my car..it gets cold when leave in the mornings, the windows are all frozted when I dont use my car coiver. It would be nice to be able to start thecar with the heater engaged (can be done) :D just my 2 cents..and I think its worth every hassle to get it working right. Also well..hehe its nice seeing a 92 car with a remote starter :p

-hec
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

I had one in it was nice but a real pain in the but if you ever had to go back into your car. I dont drive my car in the winter any more so i pulled it out and it sitting in my draw right now.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

They banned automatic starters an manuals in b.c. a few years back, after some guy ran himself over when his car started. he died, and now there is a huge fine if you get caught with one on your car.(I found this out a few years ago when Visions wouldn't install one in my car)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i know no local shops wouldn't install one for me, so i got my mechanic to do it. If you get a proper remote starter for a manual transmission instead of getting one for an automatic and bypassing all the car's safety features, than incidences like that can happen.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey...sell me that starter :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I got mine from Canadian Tire, it's a ProStart...i'm sure you can order it online
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

A buddy of mine has one on his 98 Integra GSR (immaculate). Last night as wew were leaving from bowling he forgot that he had left it in gear with the hand brake disengaged. As we walked through the doors of the bowling ally he started the car (habit). He then watched as the little picture of a car on his pager drove off the screen. At that point I looked to the back of the parking lot and saw his car driving itself away. It drove over a median (keep in mind his car sits about 3 inches off the ground). Then it drove over a curb at the back of the parking lot and into a tree. The fender was pushed in, bumper had a small crack in it, and his type-r lip was mangled.

The moral of the story, I can start my own car thank you.

<small>[ December 13, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: mazdubber ]</small>
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

So i'm guessing he got a remote starter for an automatic and installed it in a manual and bypassed the safeties?
TekPmp

Post by TekPmp »

I picked up the top of the line DEI security/remote start/keyless (DEI 791xv)

Its all hooked up looking clean now thanks to everyones input. I remote started it in gear just to see how far it would move with the ebrake up. It will start and keep stalling at about a 4mph pace and keep going until the unit senses a steady tach reading of about 700rpm. This means regaurdless whether you have the ebrake engaged or not, something is getting hit heh ( at least til the battery dies) I also tried remote starting it in gear with the ebrake DISengaged. The car just rolled away casually ....found that kind of funny. Anyway This alarm does have a manual trans setting you can program as mentioned above (Thanks all :p )
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
So i'm guessing he got a remote starter for an automatic and installed it in a manual and bypassed the safeties?
Nope. In actual fact, most remote starters for manual transmissions do not have a safety.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”