Max watts for stock alternator 93 RS

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
anvil82

Max watts for stock alternator 93 RS

Post by anvil82 »

I have a rockford fosgate 551x power amp.

I was thinking of either using 2 channels for the front, and bridge the other 2 for a subwoofer (then use Head Unit to power rear (bleh), or using the other 2 channels for the rear, and adding a mono (or 2 channel bridgeable amp) for a subwoofer.

The Rockford Fosgate 551x Power is:

70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms

I was thinking of adding a 400w RMS amplifier for the subwoofer, would that be too much?

THNAKS!!!! :)

<small>[ February 04, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: billby ]</small>
lakersfan1

Re: Max watts for stock alternator 93 RS

Post by lakersfan1 »

You'll be fine. Let us know when you pass 1000 watts RMS.

<small>[ February 04, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
anvil82

Post by anvil82 »

Thanks.

I won't be adding any more than that, that's the max I want to spend on a car stereo.

I can't wait til it gets warmer so I can buy the stuff and install it.

I wish I had a heated garage :mad:
jdogsd1

Post by jdogsd1 »

hey ya you shouldent have any problems at all but you may have some dimming of inside lights and gagues. it that bothers you the easy to fix is to get a small capasiter. this will also be better for your amps it will insure that they are getting all the power they need. but as lakersfan1 said there is rely no need to worry untill u get over 1000 watts.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

I ran a JBL 1200 and the only time I had dimmage was when I had all of my neons on as well (and JBL's are pretty inefficient). So under a 1000 watts you'll be fine.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
seneca

Post by seneca »

Hey,
Well I was recently talking to a friend of mine and this is what he had to say...
Yes you will still be fine for power as a new battery will put out 14.4 V while the car is running. Which should, if anything cause a little dimmage of lights as mentioned b4. But you have to remember everything else in your car that will be running off of that same power source! You may not think about it but you will lose alot of power in the car b/c of the drain caused by the amps, and neons in your case! Now for regular low speed driving this is fine and again, you will prob only experience some dimmage. But if you want your car to still have it's "PeP" then reconsider running so much power to other things like large amps and leave it for what its meant for (your car)!!! Hey a cap never hurt anyone...and for $75 it'll help you take off the line a little quicker while still looking and sounding good ;)
Tyson

<small>[ February 09, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: seneca ]</small>
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by seneca:

Yes you will still be fine for power as a new battery will put out 14.4 V while the car is running.
No, when the car's running, the alternator the dominant power source in the car, and that produces 14.4 volts. A car battery will never make 14.4 volts. 13.2 volts is doing pretty good for a battery, but it's usually in the 12's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by BumpNGlow:
I ran a JBL 1200 and the only time I had dimmage was when I had all of my neons on as well (and JBL's are pretty inefficient). So under a 1000 watts you'll be fine.
Actually, the BP1200.1 is very efficient. It deletes an entire output stage that most amps have. since it doesn't need to be an SQ amp. Because of that, it can actually be very very efficient. However, when run into 1 ohm, it seems to be much less efficient, as it runs much hotter. But at 2 ohms, it seems to work optimally.
seneca

Post by seneca »

Actually lakersfan....test it. I have and when (my car atleast) is turned off I will get around 12 V but when my car is on I will always put out a solid 14.3-14.4 V I have tried this a few times. And my friend that I was talking about is a 45 year old stereo tech. he's been dealing with this stuff for more years that most of us have been able to drive! I have hooked up a tester and found this to be true...but then again, it could just be my "magic" battery!
:2thumbsup:
TySon
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

what point are you trying to disprove him on? The battery fact? If so, he's right and you're wrong. As your stereo tech friend and hopefully he'll understand the concept, if not, then I guess he doesn't have much car stereo experience.

and lakersfan, 114 amps for 1200 watts wasn't very efficient from what I have heard. I can't find any amp specs right now to compare it to (it's quarter till 3 and I'm pretty tired). But either way, I had a JBL (and have dealt w/ them a lot) and they are great amps. I recommend them to a lot of ppl.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by seneca:
it could just be my "magic" battery!
:2thumbsup:
TySon
Or maybe it can be that your battery post is connected to your alternator. Drrrrrrrrrr.
bulldog131775

Post by bulldog131775 »

I ran 4400 continuos off my stock alternator but I had a second battery and a 5 farad cap
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

what amps?
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

bulldog131775

Post by bulldog131775 »

1 ma audio amp
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by slow one:
1 ma audio amp
If you're talking about the HK-4000D, I thought that could only do 4000 watts+ if you got the voltage over 15 volts? Did you modify the electrical system to somehow get more than the typical 14.4 volts?

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”