subs 12s or 10s

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
jdogsd1

subs 12s or 10s

Post by jdogsd1 »

ok well here is the deal i got a nice set up in my car but i need more omly pushing 340 watts. i got a alpine 4 ch rining 50 watts x4 for front and rear speakers and only a alpine 140 watts amp to a RF sub. well im changing all that i am goung to pull the 140 watt alpine amp and put this amp running at 350 watts. now the question is should i run dual eclipse 10s or dual eclipse 12s

that alpine amp will run 350 watts at 2 ohm and i will run 2 4ohm subs of it here are the two subs im looking at there the first on this page subs

well thats it money is not a isue so just let me know what u think will sound best in our car. thanks

<small>[ February 04, 2004, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: jdogsd1 ]</small>
Talon_66

Re: subs 12s or 10s

Post by Talon_66 »

I enjoy my Phoenix Gold Tantrum X 10D, I listen to a wide variety of music
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
seneca

Post by seneca »

Hey bro,
Ok first off do yourself a favor and check out these two sites:
www.sounddomain.com
www.onlinecarstereo.com

These by far have some of the best pricing that I've found on the net.

As far as sound quality goes go for 12's all the way. I've ran 10's, 12's, and 15's. And barnone for allround sound and tumping power I prefer 12's. They have the right mix of low end and punch.

The way I see it is:
you'll get the best punch from a 10
you'll get the best low end from a 15
So 12's seem to be right in the middle! Now all you have to do is match the right amp to the right subs (sounds simple but isn't) and you're flying!!!

Well if you are looking to run a system that will make your neibours complain, but won't have to scaping for pennies try this:

Get a high powered mono block amp (1 channel) and wire your subs parallel or "series". And try matching the rms of both pretty close if not having the amp a little more power (the better)
ie. 500W peak subs w/ 350 rms run them in series off of an 800W amp. It'll tweak your ear drums! Now this is only my advise for a starter system...feel free to modify, flame, or experiment on your own. As it is the only real way of learning! I've been trying for years, and have it down to an art! But advice never hurts, and it may save you some $$$ in the long run!!!
Have fun,
Tyson
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
jdogsd1

Post by jdogsd1 »

hey thanks seneca ya i already have a good set up in my car and could last with it but i just want more. thanks for all the info i really kinda know all that u told me. i guess that what i rely want to know is over all in our car dose 10s or 12s sound better
seneca

Post by seneca »

k...well 12's all the way!!! :2thumbsup:

ANd I hope this helps someone else then!!!! lol

Bye all,
Tyson
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

I got 2 12" audiobahn subs and a 1000watt boss amp pushing them with ony 8 gauge wire run and they hit so hard. I am fixing to run 4 gaug wire to get more power to my amp and then they will be super hard. I cant really see getting anything bigger then what i got because i cant get the volume above 14 without going def. But what ever floats your boat. Have fun man!
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

That's kind of difficult to answer, since every sub is different. Fosgate 12 sounds different than a Kicker 12. I'd say, find a car audio shop that has Eclipse subs and maybe they will have it on display to test. Then you could hear the 10 and 12, to hear the difference.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Before you buy Eclipse subs, check out Adire Audio. Their subs are amazing and reasonably priced.

This site has the best prices i could find. And if you find a better price give him a call, he might match it for you. They're having a sale right now too!

www.16studios.com
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”