Need a new CD/MP3 player... suggestions?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
2.5mx3

Re: Need a new CD/MP3 player... suggestions?

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Unfortunately, I can't get that deal! LOL
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i have the jvc el kameleon......
& i dont even use the remote....b/c the knob are near the shifter
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Yeah actually I have a JVC El Kameleon as well, I personally love it, but i do use my remote while driving (laugh all you want) I have mine set up to where the face is always flat. Anywho, I used to have a Kenwood cdplayer, but I wasn't that impressed with it. I can't remember the model but it was a low grade one, it played cd's really, really well, don't get me wrong, but I guess it all depends on what features you want. What's nice about the El Kameleon is that it has a separate output that you can use to hook up subs to, that way you can set the speakers in your car to one level and your sub channel to another one....it's nice.
I am the MadHatter.
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

I kinda like Kenwood. I had the MP8017 which was good until the display and buttons stopped working in the upright position. Was great, hardly ever skipped (only when the car bottoms out :eek: . Loved that it blended in so well with the dash. Sent that off for repair, and thanks to Future Shop for taking longer than a month to fix it, they replaced it with an MP522. No flip around face, but 50W/channel, remote (which only my gf uses, but has number buttons to skip directly to a track, and makes titling CD's faster), easy to use without looking at it (nice sized nob for volume with back/forward buttons right beside it), and a big improvement over the 8017. MP3's load faster, sound quality is much better on stock speakers, tuner seems more powerful. It is silver, so it doesn't blend in very well, so I take the faceplate with me now. Kenwood has another deck with the "MASK" (hideaway) faceplate, but as I found out, the cable that connects the faceplate wears out.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jdogsd1:
no one has said it yet so i gues ill say it go eclips they got some of the best stuff there a littel pricy but good. they come with a 1 yr theft warnty and a 3 yr over all warnty.<hr></blockquote><p>I just read the review on the new Eclipse CD5423 yesterday. I had no idea thier price point has come down that much. It's only $300 retail now for one with MP3 capability, and an aluminim face? I'd defintely go with that one then if they're that cheap now. I was thinking their still $500+ a pop.
crashedmx3

Post by crashedmx3 »

well I have the pioneer DEH-P4500MP, which was likely similar to your old head unit, and likely similar to the 8500. I love my deck, havnt had any problems, and you can tweet your music pretty well. The 8500 could only be better.
jdag112

Post by jdag112 »

If you want the 8500 you better get it soon. Pioneer is going to advance that model up to the 9600 in January and there are some considerable advances made in the unit, but with those advances comes an increase in cost. My advice, if you like Pioneer wait until January and look at the DEH8MP, or the 8600, the new OEL is color and its pretty impressive, its basically the dehp950 from last year, with added burr brown processor, color OEL, and auto eq+ Time allignment, all for $300 dollars cheaper than last years Premier DEHP950. As a side note so that I am not totally bias I do have a little soft spot for some of Alpine's stuff.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

IF youre looking for a headunit that blends in well with the dash i suggest the el Kameleon head unit, it hides so well ive had people ask me where my cd player is. :rant2:
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Wow, this is an old thread, guys! But thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting the Pioneer 8500 after all. I like the sound of that new Pioneer that's coming out next year with the color EL screen. I may just have to sell the 8500 when it shows up on Ebay. :-)
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”