Box Size

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
marius

Box Size

Post by marius »

I need as much space in my trunk as possible. Would a skinnier box size affect the
the sound of my 10" sub?<p>thanks guys
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Box Size

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

that would depend on the type of sub...
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
marius

Post by marius »

It's a Sony 400w 10" sub (pre-Xplod). Yeah it's a bit on the old side.<p>Sorry for posting the topic twice.
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

volume of the box is what matters but u want like 2" behind the sub at least go for 1cubic foot with that sub and it will sound good
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

the actual dimensions have little to do w/ the sound of the box, just like Kyle said, leave enough room behind the sub, and make sure the volume is correct.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
jesse_85_69

Post by jesse_85_69 »

i have a freind with a 15" RF and his box is tiny.. it sounds ALOT louder.. but i dont really like the sound it produces.. i got a 15" kicker comp in a HUGE box (just 1 15" too) and i say it sound much nicer.. so do all my freinds so i say bigger is better =)
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 93mx3ownzJOO:
i have a freind with a 15" RF and his box is tiny.. it sounds ALOT louder.. but i dont really like the sound it produces.. i got a 15" kicker comp in a HUGE box (just 1 15" too) and i say it sound much nicer.. so do all my freinds so i say bigger is better =)<hr></blockquote><p>some subs require less space than others. I know the old (pre square) kicker solo-baric subs only needed the amount of space of the box it came in. there are others that take over 3 cubic feet of space. The internal and external shape means nothing (unless you have port tubes because they have to ba aimed right) and will not effect the sound quality. Just do like stated before. Leave enough room behind the sub and build it as close as you can to max air volume inside.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

Oh, i might as well throw this out. The thing with space behind the sub is because many subs vent hot air out the bottom of the magnet.
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

I have a MTX Audio 10" in a MTX enclosure. It's not that big but it's lethal. The whole box is like the size of a 14" tv
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

If you want to use a smaller box you can fill the box with this poly-fill stuff. They sell it at crutchfield and other stores. Maybe ebay too. It slows down the sound waves so that it makes your box seem bigger than it actually is to the speaker. I've never actually tried it, but theoretically that should work.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Polyfill typically will only yield a 10% maximum percieved increase in box volume. It's really not worth it for subs anymore since the boxes required nowadays are so much smaller than required 10 years ago.
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

sorta off subject but here goes i have a 2 10in audiobahn aw1000q in a bandpass but i want to go ported or sealed now becuase i got the bandpass for free becuase it was damaged and now it is beggining to fall apart so i was wondering how i should go with this i have like 100usd ne help would be appreciated
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

go to a local shop and see what they can get you for 100$. Most shops won't get you much more than a square box w/ or w/out port for 100$.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Why not build your own out of MDF. That way you can build it to spec for your sub.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”