Sub position!

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
GuidoBiRiChiNo

Sub position!

Post by GuidoBiRiChiNo »

Hi guys,
did anyone put is sub in the spare tire position?
Maybe with a custom fitted wooden enclosures?<p>Just wondering...
-italian lonely MX'er-
BumpNGlow

Re: Sub position!

Post by BumpNGlow »

yah, its been done. Fiberglass works best for it.<p>Here's a how to on how to do it:
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=27344&page=9<p>notice his great choice of subwoofer :D !<p>sorry, this is the one I meant to link (but I guess both work)
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7165/how_to_1.htm<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: BumpNGlow ]</p>
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
GuidoBiRiChiNo

Post by GuidoBiRiChiNo »

Thanks...
Anybody ave done this in a MX?
-italian lonely MX'er-
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

The only problem on the mx-3 is that our spare tire well is not flat. there is a big mound in the middle that wont let you fit a sub in it. Simple fix: Smash it! :)<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: codyhoover ]</p>
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

does smashing it work? I was going to get it cut off and a weld plate over the top of it. Gotta make sure mine's water tight.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
GuidoBiRiChiNo

Post by GuidoBiRiChiNo »

Do you think that smashing it down there will be enough air volume for a 12" subwofeer?
-italian lonely MX'er-
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i personally would cut it and put a piece of sheet metal over the hole. rust seems to enjoy metal that has been smashed. i went with free-airs myself. Click my sig if you want to check out my set-up.<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: ryanlindenberg ]</p>
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GuidoBiRiChiNo:
Do you think that smashing it down there will be enough air volume for a 12" subwofeer?<hr></blockquote><p>o yah. You could probably put 2 of them in there if you wanted.<p>I forgot I had this picture:
http://webpages.charter.net/brandonkahre/mx-3%20decent%20spare%20tire%20install.jpg
It's kind of large so I linked it.<p>hellafied clean, ain't it?<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: BumpNGlow ]</p>
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I put two Earthquake Magma 12's in the tire well. The magnets were in it anyway. I didn't need to smash it. I just put some noise deadener and used it as the bottom. Worked fine till I ripped it out. I'm probably now going to put 4 10's in there.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

In my 1st mx I had my Infinity Perfect 12 in the spare tire well. I personally didnt care for it but then again it was a Perfect and I doubt the box was the right shape. They are very tempramental subs. But it definatly can be done. Oh yea, I never had any rust problems. I took the sub out after 6 months and there was no rust.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
GuidoBiRiChiNo

Post by GuidoBiRiChiNo »

Ryan I checked your system and I would definitely go for free air subs... but they told me I have to put a wooden hatch shade and anyway it'll always sound like a sh*t.
I'm really a rookie, and do not know anything about good or bad decisions.<p>But for you gurus that want to help me, here's my wish setup:
RF 750x amp for 2way front system (100RMS) and 2way rear system (70RMS)
RF 500bd amp (600w@2ohms) for a 12" (or 15") sub 600RMS.
All components are from Rockford Fosgate.
My first issue is SPACE: I do not want to redo doors or anything. And I want a free hatch as much as possible.
So to put a 15" sub in the tire well would sound great for me!
-italian lonely MX'er-
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291128029<p>Check out that album. He's got a few pictures of his system towards the end. It might be exactly what you are looking for.<p>And I think the spare tire well would be too small for a 15 unless you found a small 15 or you raised the floor a little.<p>How bout this:
Fiberglass the spaire tire well, raise the floor and flush mount both amps. You'll still have to be careful up puncturing the sub if you don't have a grill and be carfeul of the amps too.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

o0mx30o

Post by o0mx30o »

i have a few of my trunk. <p> http://www.geocities.com/loopy183/jbl2.jpg <p> http://www.geocities.com/loopy183/jblb.jpg <p> http://www.geocities.com/loopy183/setup3.jpg<p>
just copy and paste the link into a window<p>[ April 17, 2003: Message edited by: Loopy1 ]</p>
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea if the subs aren't "free-air" subs then they will sound like ****. i made my trunk cover out of particle board and then cut the holes and covered it with carpet. the system i have sounds better than the two 12s i had in a bandpass box.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

if you fiberglass the well like on the links I gave them you don't need a free-air sub b/c its an actual enclosure.<p>If you do just make a baffle for the top then you do need a free air sub, BUT if you have a free air sub, might as well make a baffle somwhere else out of the way -- it'd be easier.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”