2 Ohms or 4 Ohms

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
EvyllChyld

2 Ohms or 4 Ohms

Post by EvyllChyld »

I was wondering whats the difference between 2 and 4 ohms? my subs are 2 or 4 ohms and i am confused on what exactly that means. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
92RedMX3

Re: 2 Ohms or 4 Ohms

Post by 92RedMX3 »

it is resistance. Neither is better than the other it is all about wiring. Post how many subs, and amp specs and such and we can help. It should be 1 or 4 ohm though. There is no sub i have seen that will do 2 or 4(i am under the idea this is a dual voice coil sub.) It all is about the specs of your amp, if you can let us know we can tell you how it will be setup.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

Subs come in many different configurations. I've seen Dual 1, 1.3, 2, 4, 8, Single 3, 4, 8, and even 12ohm. It all comes down to how many subs you will be running and what kind of amp. Your amplifier can only handle down to a certain impedence so you have to match up the ohm load from your subs with the amp you have.<p>Post what you have (amp and subs) and how many and we can help you w/ what impedence you need.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
EvyllChyld

Post by EvyllChyld »

I have 4 infinity kappa perfects 12.1D's i don't know what amp to get yet... lol i have no money, so i am really not looking into buying it. i need a cheap good amp... if there is any :-D thanks
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

good god. $1200 later. I have a single perfect w/ a 450W amp and it hurts by its self. Id be afraid of 4 of them.
My suggestion. Sell two of them and buy a descent amp.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
EvyllChyld

Post by EvyllChyld »

Cody? how much did you pay for your 1 12"? i only payed $150 a piece with a 1 year warranty and free shipping at ikesound.com
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

I assume you got the SVC 4 (the site doesn't specify, what kind of crap is that??)<p>If so you have a few options:
1 ohm, 4 ohm, 12 ohm.<p>Now 12 ohm is worthless to ya really unless you put all for in your room :D !<p>I'd say get 1 JBL 1200.1 for now... its very cheap from ikesound.com and it'll definately move those to begin with. AND, if you ever feel like getting crazy loud, get a 2nd one.<p>1 JBL wired at 1 ohm would give you about 1200-1400watts, or about 300-350 watts a piece. Although the subs claim 1400 watts peak, they recommend 300-350 RMS so I think this really matches up nicely. If you get this and feel its not enough for you, you can even upgrade to a 2nd JBL. It'll sound nice.<p>The amps are
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”