amp question

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Bundy

amp question

Post by Bundy »

What does the size of the resisters do with the power of the output? I see like<p>75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
100 watts x 4 at 2 ohms<p>and is there any difference between those?<p>bungo
mzdspd

Re: amp question

Post by mzdspd »

its the impedence or resistance of the speakers not actual resistors. this is a very hard subject to explain unless u know ohms law. but if u really wanna understand it look ohms law up on google and read about it. 2 ohm is basicly 2 4 ohm subs hooked up both + to + and - to -. if u have any questions just ask
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

the lower the resistance, the easier it is to make power. Any amp (with the exception of JL and JL copy cat amps -- they are specifically designed to put out the same power at every impedence -- which has always seemed pointless me) will put out more power at lower resistances. There is a limit to how low the amp can go though. Make sure you read that before buying the amp.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I'm an electrical engineer. Basically you want to stay with 4 ohms unless your amp is actually rated at 2 ohms. Otherwise you will be pulling in much more current than your amp can handle, and this is bad for the capacitors in the amp. Some amps (the expensive ones) can go way down to like a 1/2 ohm. That means you could wire up 4 subs, each at 4 ohms from the same amp. The power gets split evenly between the 4 speakers in that case.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

actually 4 4ohm subs would be 1ohm
1=4ohm
2=2ohm
3=1.3ohm
4=1ohm
5=.66ohm
6=.5ohm
7=.3ohm
8=.25ohm
etc
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Oh dang ya that's right I was thinking two different things at once and trying to type them at the same time. haha At any rate the point is pay attention to the ohm rating of your amp or you will not be happy with the results. It will either blow up (if it's cheap) or the signal will keep cutting out as the heat protection circuitry shuts the amp off. Here is a neat little page that explains how to wire both single and dual voice coil arrangements.<p>http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

Precision Power amps are supposedly infinately stable. It only sais it in really small letters in the manuals. The big one push like 1600W at 4ohms and goes up from there. They are god awfull expensive though. <p>then again there is McIntosh amps that are something like $100 a watt.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
Wildman640

Post by Wildman640 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by codyhoover:
Precision Power amps are supposedly infinately stable. It only sais it in really small letters in the manuals. The big one push like 1600W at 4ohms and goes up from there. They are god awfull expensive though.<hr></blockquote><p>thats what I have. using 2 right now, the pc1400 (800+) and the pc450 (4x50) for the componets. both are the 1998 version. they are just awesome, never had any problems from them. I dont think I will ever use another brand
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by codyhoover:
Precision Power amps are supposedly infinately stable. It only sais it in really small letters in the manuals. The big one push like 1600W at 4ohms and goes up from there. They are god awfull expensive though. <p>then again there is McIntosh amps that are something like $100 a watt.<hr></blockquote><p>I've never heard that, and I can guarantee they are note. But I do love those amps. I had a PPI PC2200 for awhile in my last car. It was such a pretty amp, and when I upgraded I actually decided to keep it and not sell it, but I ended up selling it to my dad.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”