computers ?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
avio

computers ?

Post by avio »

okay i want to put a computer in my car. I got myself an old computer and a 5' inch screen. What i need to know is how do i get power from the car's engine to power the computer. i heard that there is some kinda cable that i can buy that changes the cigarette lighter into a power outlet like the house. however it's really costly, does anyone have any solutions ? :p <p>ICQ 8310110. can contact me there or leave a msg here but i'm dying to know ! LOL i'm very impatient and besides it's reading week :p thanks !
curtklze

Re: computers ?

Post by curtklze »

canadian tire has them. their called power converters, just ask the guy in the automotive department.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i have one, her had one, needed to replace the motherboard cause of bad usb ports, and i need them for the touchscreen im putting in...<p>one thing of advice, if your planning on getting subs in your car, get a 2-amp wiring kit, wire one set of connection for the amp, the other for the a/c inverter, saves alot of headaches on the power wiring...and the a/c inverters usually run about $50-$100cdn, depending on what wattage you get, i use a 400w, which delivers 300w constantly, and i figure i use at most 200w's (150w for the PC, 35w for the lcd), so im all good...<p>and question, let me know, i have one as well :D
i should have my website up soon, but if you want, i can e-mail you pics<p>[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

actually i got my website setup<p>http://www.nd4spdse.net
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
actually i got my website setup<p>http://www.nd4spdse.net<hr></blockquote><p>You should get a Touch Screen monitor instead of using that ATI remote control.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

the ati remote works well for basic control so i dont need to take my eyes off the road, however, if and when i get the time, i need to actually get around to isntalling the touchscreen and modifying the mount accordinly, it uses a usb port but the usb ports on the motherboard were bad, i RMA'd it and received the replacemnt unit last week..<p>I traded my boss my old LG 556LM + $300 for the demo TTX touchscreen we got in (his idea for the trade. he got a "demo" touchscreen cause he knew i would eventually want it)<p>[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I really didnt want to post this till its done, bt I'll throw in my two cents.
Im actually building my car pc right now. Ive been planning for a while, but I have so many ideas and my parts are getting expensive :) <p>My current setup.
VIA EPIA M9000
that is the board Im using.
:) (I cant give away all my secrets, Ive researched too much time to give my ideas away)<p>BTW touchscreens are expensive!!<p>for booting, I ve bene looking into embedded XP. Maybe using a CF to IDE adapter and booting from it (adding the swap file to a local harddrive). That way the boot time is minimal. For networking I may add a 802.11B wireless nic, that way I can download mp3/s or whatever and access the internet while its in my garage. <p>If all goes well, you guys will see it @ Carlisle. I may end up not going if my GS isnt finished. :(
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
(just so u all know, I hear you guys mentioning the ATI remote) YOu can get a packard bell fastmedia remote for about 10 bucks (serial connection) You can download UICE HERE and use it with any remote contol that uses IR with the fastmedia IR reciever. I know it workls because Im using it.
<hr></blockquote><p>The ATi Remote Wonder is actually an RF remote, my friend tested it to half the length of a football field (his apartment is beside an old high school :) ) And its USB<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
As far as an OS, I cant decide on Windows XP media edition or Tablet PC edition. Media edition is cool, but the remote feature thats made for it will not work with the fastmedia remote. The remote works in general, but not directly with the application. Tablet PC edition has voice recognition and onscreen keyboard (not the same one thats in Xp). I lkike media center edition, but its kinda cheezy if you dont have a TV card or the remote it comes with. There is a new one comming out, Media center edition II, I'll have to check that one out.<hr></blockquote><p>Personally, i find that Media Center is usedful one if your building a PVR, i think its Alienware that had one in shuttle-type case. Any standard video player will do the job for movies, but unless your planning on recording alot of tv, i'd go Tablet, but then again, i've never really messed with Media Center, so you never knwo, it may have some nice features.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
as far as power supplies go.. screw an inverter.
http://www.opussolutions.com/ sells a DC-DC power supply. its kinda pricey ($200) but it has some NICE features. not only do u not need an inverter, but it has abuilt in Auto shut down feature for windows so it will shut down windows when the car is turned off. It also has a built in timer to cut the power to the PC if it doesnt shut down after a min or so.
<hr></blockquote><p>Nice! I may have to look into that, but i though i was gonna need the a/c inverter for the LCD anyway, but my new TTX touchscreen has the converter externally, so i can put 12v directly into it...but its nice to have some 120v outlets, they ahve came in handy...<p>
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
Im going to use a glidepoint, maybe mold it in my console. You will need a ground loop RCA adapter to get rid of the engine noise.<hr></blockquote><p>I won a glidepoint on ebay (nd4spd-se is my username), but the guy claims i didnt send him a payment and that he send e-mails, but i sent a paypal payment at the end of the auction and only received one email the day the auction ended.<p>What do you mean by a ground loop RCA adapter to get rid of the engine noise? The alternator whine getting into the audio?<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
If all goes well, you guys will see it @ Carlisle. I may end up not going if my GS isnt finished.<hr></blockquote><p>Carlisle? Where and whens that?<p>[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by avio:
can contact me there or leave a msg here but i'm dying to know ! LOL i'm very impatient and besides it's reading week :p thanks !<hr></blockquote><p>For someone dying to know, you sure havent posted any replies yet <p> :shrug:
RiP401k

Post by RiP401k »

Can some one who has a computer in there car send a pic to me so i can see what it looks like i your car, or even post on in this topic.<p>Thanks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i posted a link of my website (links in my sig), but i'll post pics of my "ghetto" setup, its always in and out, constantly being worked on and getting the bugs out. Right now the video card is flaky(was just replaced last week), touchscreen is supposibly resetting the system and the WiFi card isnt working. Just a warning, the system has been slightly updated, those pics are from November. New pics will happen in the next few weeks once the setup becomes picture worthy :D <p>It should be nicely cleaned up in spring once i get the bugs sorted out<p>Image<p>Image<p>Image<p>Image<p>Image<p>Image<p>Image<p>[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

very sick job bro, :D
very original in the way you did it,, nice LCD mounting,,
I also used my sony GRX laptop plus the logitech Z560 speakers in my car,,, sounded pretty good, but since i have no clue of computer stuff, i couldnt really make a serious use out of it,,, so i returned all the stuff to where it belonged,,, :D :D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kuruption1983:
very sick job bro, :D
very original in the way you did it,, nice LCD mounting,,
I also used my sony GRX laptop plus the logitech Z560 speakers in my car,,, sounded pretty good, but since i have no clue of computer stuff, i couldnt really make a serious use out of it,,, so i returned all the stuff to where it belonged,,, :D :D
<hr></blockquote><p>
Sick indeed, the LCD mount has changed to allow passenger use and seating<p>OMG! YOU HAD Z-560's??!?! Those things rock!
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

they were actually pretty cheap,,,
i remember they were 190 bucks @ business depot,,,
but since i just use my computer to download and mix music and movies,,, i returned the laptop and the speakers and bought myself a second hand tecra 8100 which i am typing on now and a sony TV and a complete home theatre,,,
nothing beats a nice TV,,, :D :D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Just wondering, should we get this thread moved to Car Stereo/Alarm? I never understood why it was posted here in the TO Forum..

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”