unerpowering subs

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
bigluke

unerpowering subs

Post by bigluke »

Is it bad? i only got the subs and the box, i have them hooked up instead of my back speakers, im short on cash so i need to know if i can leave it like that for now, not that its doing much.
Dont let anyone tell u u cant run subs off of your head unit,(temporarily that is) all u need is a big box :) <p>-Luke
92RedMX3

Re: unerpowering subs

Post by 92RedMX3 »

as far as the subs go as long as its good clean power you should be fine. You just wont get the full performance out of it.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

By underpowering subs, distortion is the factor. That's what screws them up.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

yup, the only thing that will hurt an underpowered sub is distortion. the subs prob don't sound like much at all with that little of power but they will be fine as long as theres no distortion.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

its just as easy to blow subs with too little of power as it is to blow them with too much power. Now if the subs rms is 250 and you give them 200, thts not a problem, but if they are getting like 125 RMS, you CAN do some damage. Just be weary. Maybe run just one?
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
bigluke

Post by bigluke »

well i have 2 pioneer impp 450w, the rms is 150, i dono how much the stock head unit puts out, but i dont hear any distortion. they sound fine (considering the power) im getting a new head unit this week and probably an amp(havent ordered one yet)unless anyone wants to sell me a 150 x 2ch amp?
Dont let anyone tell u u cant run subs off of your head unit,(temporarily that is) all u need is a big box :) <p>-Luke
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Most head units put out anywhere between 20-35 RMS power. Ive heard subs that are powered off the deck, believe it or not i was kind of impressed. They are not insanely loud or deep, but they give a little kick to the music.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

most decks put out 11-25 rms most are 17
Moe_maX

Post by Moe_maX »

Yeah... i got one that will do the trick... check the "need to get rid of these" post the ample audio 4 channel if you bridge it will be perfect for them pioneer subs... $250... its basically brand new..<p>lemme know...
Moe_maX
bigluke

Post by bigluke »

i would love to spend that much , but i cant, im a cheap *** and the insurance companies seem to think the Mx-3 is a rocket(i agree) so im broke, im looking for one arnd 70-100 max. i found thisbazooka i dono if its good but as long as it puts out what it says it does im good.
Moe_maX

Post by Moe_maX »

the $250 is in Canadian funds... so i think thats close to your price range... (150 American... i think) :D :D ;)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mzdspd:
most decks put out 11-25 rms most are 17<hr></blockquote><p>Disagree. Ive seen them run from 19-35.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

i disagree with both. I have never seen a deck EVER run over 15 RMS. This is benched at a shop, not what their specs say about it. This is with the large brands. Nak, Fosgate, Eclipse, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc....
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

eclipse had a double din deck out a while ago that did 25rms and clarion had a double din that did 22rms most hu do 13-17 the big brands while most eclipses are 11
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

the Alpine CDA 7983 does decent power... it requires you to run a 10awg power wire to it from the battery to power its internal amp.... its rated at 60x4 but of course it doesn't do that RMS.... I'm sure you could get 20x4 out of it or somehwere close to that. Never seen it benched though.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”