Mounting rear speakers... what was Mazda thinking?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Shades

Mounting rear speakers... what was Mazda thinking?

Post by Shades »

I was just replacing the factory speaker in the rear thinking this was gonna be a "Unscrew, screw In" type deal. But NOOO... what was Mazda thinking? Who would make three pillars for the screws and mount a speaker with a cardboard ring. The speaker I got had several different mounting rings but nothing with three holes. I had to drill a mounting ring with three holes and also these speaker were designed to be mounted from the front, like the speakers in the front of the car, and not from behind. Then I had to find some dowel and make a spacer cause the ring would touch the rubber surrounding the cone, and that bad... pee pee sound, not good. Then I had to drill holes in the 1cm pieces. Now the original screws that came with the speakers were too short, so I had to hunt some down and also they were machine screws... those are hard to find for some reason. I finally found something sorta close to the threads. About six hours later, while sitting on the couch and watching the Simpsons I mounted 'em in the plastic moulding... ah done. Well that's what you think. If you've replaced the speakers in the rear you'll know there is a plastic support bar running from left to right of the car or vica-versa. Obviously I get better sounding speakers, you'll get a bigger magnet. So the damn thing won't sink down due to the support piece of plastic running across... yay. That's where I am now... I'm waiting for a friend to bring me a Dremel, grinding tool. I have to cut away about half of the plastic to make 'em fit.<P>Why Mazda, why? You made the front speakers easy to install... just had to drill one hole.<P>Well that's my 69 cents on my situation... maybe I'm just retarded and there was an easier way to do it? Probably...
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Mounting rear speakers... what was Mazda thinking?

Post by monty73741 »

i just took some mdf and make a templete and cut it out and glued it in......i was thinking about taking them out and making an enclosure to give some more base response<P>but since my car got brokeninto at the mechanics....<P>my plans are on hold<P><BR>jason<BR>-car -passanger window -amp and radio
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
DiGiTaL

Post by DiGiTaL »

I agree about the placement of the rear speakers. Not at all aftermarket friendly.
ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

instead of worrying about the stock speaker enclousers, i just cut out holes in my hatch lid cover for my 6x9's and made a mounting plate and threw them in there. wiring wasn't a problem either since i just ran them from the amp in my trunk.
and konstantine is walking down the stairs...
cotek21

Post by cotek21 »

Mounting aftermaret speakers in the rear took me no time. Just remove the plastic garnish, loosely install 2 of the 3 screws, and just jam the speaker in. It puts tension on the plastic mounting pegs but I've had my system in since August and it's holding just fine-and without any vibrational either. I'm running 6 1/2 in. 3 way Sony Xplod's at each corner, A-pilar mounted tweeters and 2 ten inch subs in the rear with an Xplod 800W 4 channel amp and a Pioneer head unit. Just don't let anyone tell ya it can't be done easy and right because it can. Cheers - see y'all Saturday in T.O. :)
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I finally got those babies in... all I had to do is take a utility knife and cut the plastic out. Reason was, the speaker magnet was to big and couldn't fit. Now I get great vocal surround sound... need bass now. Must save money.

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

WildNCrazyMX3

Post by WildNCrazyMX3 »

Please help what size speakers do I need for the back?? I want to replace them but I dont know what size goes back there. wildncrazymx3@aol.com
Girls can have bad a-- cars too.
i kandee

Post by i kandee »

next week i am having my system installed. I have purchased a 500W rockford fosgate amp that peeks at 1000 and two 250W fosgate twelves. However i need to replace my rear speakers as well and i was wondering what would compliment the rest of my system?? Has anyone tried embee courts?? Do they have a tin like sound at all??
who said girls can't drive??
Moe_maX

Post by Moe_maX »

How are you running them 12's??? ported or sealed? and what is the model number on them subs??? just want to know... Mb Quarts... Right now there the top of the line for up- front components... they sound great... ONLY PROBLEM with them is... $$$$$$$$ they are F@#$ing expensive...
i kandee

Post by i kandee »

I have a friend who does custom competition installs so he will be doing all the work for me including building the box and the install but i will let you know after this weekend (that's when it's goin in) how he went about hookin it up. We couldn't get the rockford fosgates i wanted,,,they weren't in stock so his distributor gave us some competition style ORION ( spelled right? should be pronounced O'RYAN) equipment at the same cost. Should be pretty tight. Then all that will be left to do is to seal my hatch and doors cuz nothin spoils a nice system like a bad rattle..ha ha
i kandee

Post by i kandee »

Ok so we have decided to go with ported instead of sealed so that i can be a little louder. I was told about a place on line that is selling MB Quarts for almost half price right now so i'm going to see what they have. If the info I have been given is correct then I will post the link.
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

Well Guess what ? I ran into the same problem when trying to mount new rear speaker in the MX.<BR>Are there ANY aftermarked speakers that will fit in the rear ?
Shades

Post by Shades »

None that I know if... did those speakers you got come with any mounting rings? If they did then you'll have to drill 3 holes for the Mazda mounting. That's what I did.

mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

my car didn't come with that stupid plastic piece lucky me.
sheller

Post by sheller »

The car should take 6 1/2's front and back. I just put some Eclipse speakers in my car and it wasn't too much problem. In the front I used a plastic speaker adapter that I actually got about 6 yrs ago for my previous mx-3. I already had it drilled out and cut exactly so they were pretty straight forward. Unfortunately when I went to Radioshack to get another adapter set they told me that they haven't carried those for years (probably about 6). So on my way home I stopped at the harware store and bought some pipe strapping. It is flexible metal strapping with holes in it. I cut 3 small section of that off and trimmed them down (metal snips work great for this). I loosely bolted them to the speaker then all that I bolted to the original 3 mounting locations. After those were secure I tightened up the bolts on the speakers. Hope this helps.<BR>Steve

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”