Help me decide on amp

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Becks

Help me decide on amp

Post by Becks »

Ok, 2 12'' infinity perfects are on their way. The speakers will come later. Right now I need an amp to power the subs. They are 1400 watts and can handle 350 watts RMS.<P>Did i mention i am kinda new to this car audio stuff? When i see specs on an amp it all goes right over my head. Ohms? RMS? Channels? what does it all mean?<P>I decided to ask you guys what would be the best amp to power my subs. I am leaning toward the JBL 1200.1 or the infinity beta digital 300. Ive seen other systems with 2 12'' perfects and the ones with high SPL have those amps. Help me please!
psurollsovau

Re: Help me decide on amp

Post by psurollsovau »

first off 1400watts peak god damn, i find that hard to believe. you want a good amp with more power than you need? try to get ahold of a matts amp, they dont manufacture them anymore as far as i know but they kick a--. also check your subs before you buy an amp. look on the magnet to see if its 8ohm or 4ohm, if there 8ohm you can get a amp thats 4 ohm stable since you prob will be runing both subs bridged. 2-8ohm subs bridged= 40hms at the amp. if there 4ohm subs your gonna need somthing thats 2ohm stable. hence 2-4ohm subs bridged= 2ohms at the amp :D
too much s--- to list!
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Becks:<BR><STRONG>Ok, 2 12'' infinity perfects are on their way. The speakers will come later. Right now I need an amp to power the subs. They are 1400 watts and can handle 350 watts RMS.<P>Did i mention i am kinda new to this car audio stuff? When i see specs on an amp it all goes right over my head. Ohms? RMS? Channels? what does it all mean?<P>I decided to ask you guys what would be the best amp to power my subs. I am leaning toward the JBL 1200.1 or the infinity beta digital 300. Ive seen other systems with 2 12'' perfects and the ones with high SPL have those amps. Help me please!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I've heard alot of people blowing those Infinity Subs running them off the 1200.1. Anythign over 350 watt RMS and people have said that they blow easily. <P>Id run around 350 -400 watt rms to each one. The 1200.1 might be a little to much for them.
EvilSnot

Post by EvilSnot »

The JBL is a mighty fine amp.<BR>My recommendtion is about 6oow to each woofer, and might add, are these the single 4 ohm, or dual 4's?, cause that will impact your amp choice there guy, lol ;) ):<BR>Now your planning on using two woofers (reality : I perfer just one good one, but thats me...and i don't compete anymore....sooo), heres what you need to know: <BR> When using mutliple woofers, the total load (ohms again!) and power output will change based on how the woofers are wired. If each is your woofers is svc 4 ohm (meaning : Single Voice Coil, 4ohm) then you have two different wiring options. One is a total load of 2ohms, or a total load of 8 ohms. The first load is called parralel wirring and the later is called series. The formula for parrellel wiring is :<BR>R1*R2 /R1+R2 (being resistence 1 + reistence 2 and soo on...ala 4 *4 =16/ (4=4) = 16/8 = 2ohm total load!)<BR>The formula for seris wirring is :<BR>R1+R2 <P>simple, eh?<P>RMS = Root mean square. Also know as continous power ratting. This is your real world power. All those cheesy looking amps that say 1400w peak only MIGHT produce that power when distorted to inaudible levels and WSBL (when struck by lighting...lol)<P>Channels : Kinda moot anymore where woofers are concerned. Its just a left side channel and a right side channel (ala stereo sound). Subwoofers are non-positional, and nothing is gained by having them wired as one per channel (unless its your only option, or your in love with cancellation...).<BR> Get yourself a mono class D amp, like that JBL. These amps are designed to kick out alot of power, but can only play bass freqs (a class T is much like a D, but can play full range!A & AB are the pursit amps, that play full range and come in multiple channels.)<BR> <P>For more info and crap, go to <A HREF="http://termpro.com" TARGET=_blank>termpro.com</A> and chekc out there forums.<P>Best place to buy online (bar none!) is <A HREF="http://tms-electronics.com" TARGET=_blank>tms-electronics.com</A> They dont jerk you around, free shipping, and great prices!<P>Feel free to email, as i know the above is jumbled mess, lol :P<P>Above all, good luck!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”