What's the right subwoofer enclosure?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Rufus

What's the right subwoofer enclosure?

Post by Rufus »

Hi everyone,<BR>I'm thinking of putting in a 12" sub, and I might make the enclosure myself. But what I wanna know is what's the difference sound-wise between the ported and non-ported ones, which are better? Also I've heard that there must be some proportion between the sub size and the volume of the enclosure - could anyone enlighten me on that?<P>Thanx in advance :roll:
loudsubz

Re: What's the right subwoofer enclosure?

Post by loudsubz »

Look at the spec sheet for your subs. It should give you a chart of applications from sealed to ported and have a range of box sizes from good bass to best bass performance.<P>If its like 1.5 cu^ft ported for good bass, and 2.5 for best bass performance decide what is best for you and if you want to sacrafice space.<P>You can also plug the T/S parameters into a program like WinISD and it will show u box sizes and a output graph
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rufus:<BR><STRONG>Hi everyone,<BR>I'm thinking of putting in a 12" sub, and I might make the enclosure myself. But what I wanna know is what's the difference sound-wise between the ported and non-ported ones, which are better? Also I've heard that there must be some proportion between the sub size and the volume of the enclosure - could anyone enlighten me on that?<P>Thanx in advance :roll:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What kind of sub do you have? loudsubz is right by looing at the spec sheet to find out what the box size should be. A sealed box gives cleaner bass, a ported box will give louder bass.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rufus:<BR><STRONG>Hi everyone,<BR>I'm thinking of putting in a 12" sub, and I might make the enclosure myself. But what I wanna know is what's the difference sound-wise between the ported and non-ported ones, which are better? Also I've heard that there must be some proportion between the sub size and the volume of the enclosure - could anyone enlighten me on that?<P>Thanx in advance :roll:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It like everyone has said so far, it depends on what subs you get. Every sub is usually designed for a specific type of application. Check the parameters. As for building your own enclosure, don't build a ported one. Why? It's very tricky to build a ported one that will sound real good. You must be real accurate as to where you put the port and also the length and diameter of the port must be proper otherwise it'll sound crappy. Go with a sealed enclosure or a infinite baffle aka "free air" enclosure. They are the easiest to build and most common. But it all depends on your style. Do research on your subs before you buy em or else you might end up with ones that don't suit your style of music.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

There is a book that radio shack sells something like 'advance speaker design' it covers the formulas that you'll want as well as some conceptual therory behind the different enclusures. You can probably get some good advice from books in your library as to which enclosure to use. <BR>As for building it your self, if you've got a nice wood shop and can make a box or two to try out ideas, then go ahead. Otherwise I'd get a profesional, whos previous work you've seen, to do it.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

damn subs ya beat me to em every time!!!!but yes subs is 110% correct about everything.you can also put like sandbags or somthing that can take up room inside the encloser for a better response time but you would have to play with it to see how much room to take up.if i can help any more let me or subs know subs would probly get back to you faster tho.<BR> later

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”