all new owner

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
sheldon

all new owner

Post by sheldon »

hello everyone,...<P>well i hope to come here a lot now that i have purchased my 95 mx-3, its only a small 4 banger, but, i want to take the time and effort to make it so much more...i just want to know where everyone thinks that i should start ? (and i know that i'm going to get a million different answers, just need some ideas -- thats all ) thanks,....<P>turtle<P>p.s. - i'm not a millionare either, so, i want to start somewhere simple...
slow and steady dosen't win any race....
Krist B.

Re: all new owner

Post by Krist B. »

u can go with PRM air intake first(i want it too) and aftermarket muffler. these things would help your car a bit faster and wont cost u much. :D
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

first off, this is the wrong forum to be dealing with technical issues, but you could also upgrade your spark plugs and wires. Depending on your budget I would suggest the B6T or BPT engine swap. You don't want to do too much to your current motor that won't swap over if you are planning to swap engines. If you do the engine swap, put in a better clutch. (if it's a 5-spd) Put in synthetic fluids, and water wetter. Those are the things I would start with if you're serious about makin a fast car.<P>Now, if you're talkin about audio, I would start with speakers. You can put the best CD player you can find in your car, but it will still sound like s--- thru shitty speakers. Then go for the deck. Then you will definatly want an amp and sub.<p>[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

first off, this is the wrong forum to be dealing with technical issues, but you could [also upgrade your spark plugs and wires. Depending on your budget I would suggest the B6T or BPT engine swap. You don't want to do too much to your current motor that won't swap over if you are planning to swap engines. If you do the engine swap, put in a better clutch. (if it's a 5-spd) Put in synthetic fluids, and water wetter. Those are the things I would start with if you're serious about makin a fast car.]<P>sorry, i realized it to late that i put this topic in the wrong spot. With the plugs and wires, will there be much of a difference in the performance of the engine ? Or is that just one of the places that can be swaped into the new motor?<P>and i already have a 10 disc sony changer, and i have a box with 10 inch mtx subs, but i need an amp... any suggestions?
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

Start off with a deck that fits your needs and a decent component set or coaxials.<P>No need to go expensive as long as it has all the features you want and sounds good. Go listen to a bunch of speakers and bring a couple cds from home to test them out, and see which one sounds best to you.<P>Remember though, on the demo board it is usually set up pretty good with seperation etc so dont be fooled if they dont sound as good in your car as they do on the board.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by turtle:<BR><STRONG>first off, this is the wrong forum to be dealing with technical issues, but you could [also upgrade your spark plugs and wires. Depending on your budget I would suggest the B6T or BPT engine swap. You don't want to do too much to your current motor that won't swap over if you are planning to swap engines. If you do the engine swap, put in a better clutch. (if it's a 5-spd) Put in synthetic fluids, and water wetter. Those are the things I would start with if you're serious about makin a fast car.]<P>sorry, i realized it to late that i put this topic in the wrong spot. With the plugs and wires, will there be much of a difference in the performance of the engine ? Or is that just one of the places that can be swaped into the new motor?<P>and i already have a 10 disc sony changer, and i have a box with 10 inch mtx subs, but i need an amp... any suggestions?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Naw, with wires and plugs you will have better performance. You may even feel an increase in HP. If you get a new engine, you may have to get new plugs, but the wires will swap. I'd go with a 8.5mm or maybe a 9mm wire. <P>As for the amp, I would definatly go with an MTX amp. They are made in conjunction with their subs so it will sound nicer.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

Naw, with wires and plugs you will have better performance. You may even feel an [increase in HP. If you get a new engine, you may have to get new plugs, but the wires will swap. I'd go with a 8.5mm or maybe a 9mm wire. <P>As for the amp, I would definatly go with an MTX amp. They are made in conjunction with their subs so it will sound nicer.]<P>thanks for the advice visual ..... going to go and check things out this week.. any suggestions or types of plugs that are recommended ?
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG>As for the amp, I would definatly go with an MTX amp. They are made in conjunction with their subs so it will sound nicer.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I woulnd't go for an amp just because its made by the same company, though MTX class D amps and the rest fo them are pretty good.<P>An amp is an amp, there not really made in conjunction with other audio parts such as subs, if so that would be pretty stupid cause you would only really be buying one brand for all your audio.<P>Look into some nice class D amps for your subs. Soem good brands are memphis, RF BD series, MMATS, Us Amps (though Class A/b, but they have a Class T), Cadence, Orion, HiFonics, DEI, Clarion ...
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by turtle:<BR><STRONG>Naw, with wires and plugs you will have better performance. You may even feel an [increase in HP. If you get a new engine, you may have to get new plugs, but the wires will swap. I'd go with a 8.5mm or maybe a 9mm wire. <P>As for the amp, I would definatly go with an MTX amp. They are made in conjunction with their subs so it will sound nicer.]<P>thanks for the advice visual ..... going to go and check things out this week.. any suggestions or types of plugs that are recommended ?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You might try those Iridium plugs, I've heard good things about them, but I've never personally tried them. I have also heard good things about Bosch Platinum+4 plugs too.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loudsubz:<BR><STRONG>An amp is an amp, there not really made in conjunction with other audio parts such as subs, if so that would be pretty stupid cause you would only really be buying one brand for all your audio.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And I'm sure that MTX wants you to buy only their subs, a Pioneer head unit, infinity mids, and an Orion amp right? They make their products work together. Thats why MTX has a "Blue Thunder" line of subs, and a "Blue Thunder" line of amps.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>And I'm sure that MTX wants you to buy only their subs, a Pioneer head unit, infinity mids, and an Orion amp right? They make their products work together. Thats why MTX has a "Blue Thunder" line of subs, and a "Blue Thunder" line of amps.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Just because they have the same line doens't mean its good. You could buy an MTX amp and a pair of Digital Design subs and have one hell of a loud car, because MTX subs arnt all that great compared to other brands out there.<P>Instead of just buying because its the same brand, shop around and buy what best suits your needs and the budget, not everything by a company is made well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loudsubz:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>Just because they have the same line doens't mean its good. You could buy an MTX amp and a pair of Digital Design subs and have one hell of a loud car, because MTX subs arnt all that great compared to other brands out there.<P>Instead of just buying because its the same brand, shop around and buy what best suits your needs and the budget, not everything by a company is made well.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I wasn't saying you couldn't have a nice system with different names. I'm going to be running 2 12" Soundstream Rubicon subs with a Planet Audio amp. I was just saying that they DO make their products in conjunction with eachother.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>I wasn't saying you couldn't have a nice system with different names. I'm going to be running 2 12" Soundstream Rubicon subs with a Planet Audio amp. I was just saying that they DO make their products in conjunction with eachother.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ok I thought you were saying the opposite. Then yes, they do make their products to work with each other, but its not always the best.
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

thanks guys for all the excitment, but, all i was looking for was a little help :) not to start a brawl in here ....<P>but thanks to both of you for the pointers.. :D
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by turtle:<BR><STRONG>thanks guys for all the excitment, but, all i was looking for was a little help :) not to start a brawl in here ....<P>but thanks to both of you for the pointers.. :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Naw, he likes to try and make me seem like I don't know what I'm talking about. It's kinda like a game I guess. But it's kewl. I hope we helped ya kid
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>Naw, he likes to try and make me seem like I don't know what I'm talking about. It's kinda like a game I guess. But it's kewl. I hope we helped ya kid</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nope, I just try to make everyone see a bigger view on the things except the obvious.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”