Sound Proofing MX-3

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Doreago

Sound Proofing MX-3

Post by Doreago »

I am thinking about sound proofing my mx-3, and just wanted to get some info on this. Right now I have 2 cerwin vega 12's and they rattle my car like crazy when they are up loud. I've never sound proofed a car before, but what all has to be done and is it possible to do it yourself? Also, anyone know the most common places for the rattling to come from on a mx-3? Where can I buy this stuff, good brands to buy, and how much. Any info on sound proofing would be appreciated. Oh and how much would it be to get it done professionally?
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Sound Proofing MX-3

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

big rattle spots are the spare, the molding around the 3rd brake light, and the rear wiper mech (if you have it). Work from the back of the car and proof the spare lid, you'll need to do the brake light molding, and its curved so it make take a bit of cutting to get it right. The wiper is pretty easy. Its also a good idea to buy some of the soundproofing spray and spray wherever the molding touches metal or overlaps itself. It may be expensive in teh long run... but my car is drop dead silent, no rattle, wind noise.. just sweet old engine sound :)
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
jnic

Post by jnic »

How exactly do you go about sound proofing a car..... may be a dumb question but I'v never done it and I'm kinda curious cuz my car rattles pretty good also... so what do you use ? where do you get it? and how hard is it to do? Thanks [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

The most popular soundproofing stuff is dense rubber with an adhesive backing. Dynamat is the bigist brand, but there are others.<BR>I De-rattled my wifes Hyundi Elantra using this rubber stuff, and some double sided foam tape to keep wires from banging the door (it was a pretty quite car to begin with).<BR>I'd recomend looking at all the rattle spots carefully to find out whats causing the rattle and how it can be made quite without imparing any functionality or cosmetics. It's way better to take your time and do a good job or have a profesional do it, than to do a bad job that devalues your car and looks bad.<BR>Good luck
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”