Whistling noise??? :(

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
GMGQ

Re: Whistling noise??? :(

Post by GMGQ »

Actually I hear it when the deck is off too. It only disappears when I turn the vents off.<P>Yes it kind of gets louder/faster the more I step on the accelerator.<P>I've also tried hooking up a Ground Loop Isolator between my deck and my sub's AMP, but that didn't make a difference.<P>This noise was present for my previous deck, and my recent brand new deck. It was actually gone for a while after I installed the new deck, but recently it came back. :(<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><BR>Do you only hear it when the deck is on? Does the whine increase frequency when the accelerator is depressed? If not, then it's not a ground loop. If so, the reason it comes on when your vents are on, is because it puts more strain on the alternator forcing it to turn faster. I have a ground loop I have to find, and it gets worse when I have my heat on, altho not bad enough to think it was coming from it. I think my ground loop is from the RCA inputs on the back of the deck. Maybe your radio is bad er sumthin. I would take it to a professional install shop and have them take a look at it. It's hard to figure it out with out doing tests. Hope it helps.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GMGQ:<BR><STRONG>Actually I hear it when the deck is off too. It only disappears when I turn the vents off.<P>Yes it kind of gets louder/faster the more I step on the accelerator.<P>I've also tried hooking up a Ground Loop Isolator between my deck and my sub's AMP, but that didn't make a difference.<P>This noise was present for my previous deck, and my recent brand new deck. It was actually gone for a while after I installed the new deck, but recently it came back. :(<P> </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's not a ground loop. I would have to say it's a vacuum line leaking. I would check it out. Sorry I can't be more help.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

Is there any way I can check this visually, by myself? Where is the vacuum line near? TIA.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>It's not a ground loop. I would have to say it's a vacuum line leaking. I would check it out. Sorry I can't be more help.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GMGQ:<BR><STRONG>Is there any way I can check this visually, by myself? Where is the vacuum line near? TIA.<P> </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have no idea. I don't know much about vacuum lines or anything. I just can't think of anything that it could be. I know it's not a ground loop. It could also be something in your vent, but I doubt that. I wish I could be of more help to you.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

Vacume lines can be really hard to check (I had an old honda, vacum EVERYTHING), The easiest way to check for leaks is to get a stethiscope, good length of rubber hose, or some cheap headphones from delta. You can use any of these to listen around in the engine compartment (be careful) and in the passenger compartment.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

On most cars the heater/AC controls are controled by vaccum. I am not sure about the MX-3's but if you take the control panel out you can see a bunch of little vaccum lines attached to it. They usually run the controls for the vents, defrost, floor heat, and so on. You might try to see if the noise goes away with different positions of the control panel. If it does then you can narrow down which vaccum line it is. I could be wrong, but I guess it's better than nothing. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] Hope you figure it out. Good luck!
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

if You have a aftermarket cold air air intake it is that, cause mine whistles like crazy but oinly when i accelerate<BR> but if not im not sure.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

ok here's what you do...<P>one by one, remove the rca plug from each amp. If the noise stops, then you know where its coming from. If not, then its either the head, or your neons. Contrary to what people are saying, the head can be off and still be the prob cause the power/grounds going to head are constant (hence the need for the yellow). did you ground the new unit where you had the old one grounded... if so, try a new spot. if its still there, its probably your neons.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG>ok here's what you do...<P>one by one, remove the rca plug from each amp. If the noise stops, then you know where its coming from. If not, then its either the head, or your neons. Contrary to what people are saying, the head can be off and still be the prob cause the power/grounds going to head are constant (hence the need for the yellow). did you ground the new unit where you had the old one grounded... if so, try a new spot. if its still there, its probably your neons.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's not a ground loop. From the info he's given me the noise is present when the sterio is OFF. That would negate any chance of a ground loop occuring, otherwise if it's like you said, the yellow wire is constant (hooked to battery) so the noise would be on even when your key isn't in the ignition. The only way it could be coming from the speakers, is if the power wires (to the speakers) were being short circuited by another power wire (i.e. ignition to deck, cigarette lighter, etc.) I'm guessing it's air flow rather than audio signal.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
houstonmx3

Post by houstonmx3 »

i had the same thing for awhile, and it was driving me nuts. i finally figured that it was my ground wire running to my amps, so if you have a system check the wires.<P><BR>lata,<BR>matt

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”