Car speakers

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Lil Ruby

Car speakers

Post by Lil Ruby »

I looking to upgrade my stereo system. Right now the door and rear speakers are stock and shot to hell!!! Various books say I need 5 1/4 size speakers. Then another book said I need 6 1/2. What brand and size do you suggest?
fieval79
Supporting Member

Re: Car speakers

Post by fieval79 »

I used 6 1/2"s all the way around till about 4 months ago. I switched the backs to 6x9"s. It sounds sooo much better. Probably didn't answer your question, but hope it helps anyways Image
Lil Ruby

Post by Lil Ruby »

Did you have problems with installation? (Like any mod to the rear speakers)How did you hook up the 6X9's?
razzxl

Post by razzxl »

I used 5 1/4 all around. Kenwood 3way in the front, Blaupunkt 2way in rear and a 200 watt amp for those. Not much bass if you just leave it at that though. For the bass i put in two 12" Punch. Sounds great. <P>fieval79, how did u get 6x9's in? did u just put them in boxes?
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

For the front 6 1/2's I used a foam spacer, because the magnet of the speaker wasn't alloying the window to close all the way. They fit great. On the back, with the 6x9's, I completely did away with the stock spots. I made myself a trunk cover out of 3/4" MDF, and mounted them in there. I'm thinking really seriously about adding a couple more 6x9's back there, there is plenty of room. Before the 6x9's, the 6 1/2" speakers fit back there with little impedence. Only thing was one of the screw holes couldn't be used because the holes weren't in the right place on the speaker. Hope that helps Image<P>If you guys can get on Yahoo Groups......in the files section under Member Rides, there is a folder that says John's Mx. I have some pictures in there, or I could send to you if ya want Image<p>[This message has been edited by fieval79 (edited June 15, 2001).]
Lil Ruby

Post by Lil Ruby »

Cool!!! I would love to see what you did to your MX-3. Send some pics to my email address
Lil Ruby

Post by Lil Ruby »

Hey Razzxl, i noticed you put Blaupunkt speakers in the rear, are they any good? I have never heard of them. I noticed them in Crutchfield. Do you recommend them or should I go with "Ole Faithful", Pioneer?
Leo_Rivard

Post by Leo_Rivard »

Hey I wouldnt mind seeing a few pics on how you put in those 6x9's<BR>I need to replace my rear speakers and just cant find anything that small that has the sound i want<P>please send pics to hudson@bcgroup.net<P>Thanks
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

Alright guys, I can do that. It'll be a while though, My internet is down at my house, I can only get online at work..... Maybe I can just bring the disk... hehe
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I to was thinking about upgrading my speakers in my car. I have a set of Pioneer 5 1/4's sitting here, I took apart the rear speaker assembly and lined it up to see that the screw holes didn't line up. <P>
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Yo, if it helps, my suggestion would be to go with the 6 1/2" Kenwood eXcelon with the dual amp hookups for the back, or Kenwood eXcelon 3-way 6"x9" for the back. And a Kenwood eXcelon component system for the front. Nice sound all around, and the quality is hella perfect.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

here is a link to the picture of the 6x9's I was talking about. It's not the good, but you get the idea.<BR> <A HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdamx-3 ... tomBox.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdamx-3 ... Box.jpg</A> <P>
sharpy

Post by sharpy »

Did you redo all the wiring?
1993 Mx-3 parts car ready to sell
bazzle

have rear speakers

Post by bazzle »

i have two tweeters in the front, two in the front door and two inthe back by the head rests, none on the rear sides. can they all be the same size or should they all be the same size (except the tweets)
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Re: have rear speakers

Post by mr1in6billion »

Did either of you noobs think to check the date on that last post? Given he's had 6 years to mull things over he's probably figured things out.
bazzle wrote:i have two tweeters in the front, two in the front door and two inthe back by the head rests, none on the rear sides. can they all be the same size or should they all be the same size (except the tweets)
And what the hell are you doing with 6 tweeters?!?!?? (other than ruining the sq in your car)

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”