Just bought MX3 V6 (92) is this a lemon ?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
pjh

Just bought MX3 V6 (92) is this a lemon ?

Post by pjh »

HI, Wrote my celica 2.0 gt off last weekend, I loved that car.<BR>So loking for a new car, budget was low.. as Celica was only 3rd party (brick wall didn't qualify)..<P>Anyway started Looking and noticed the spec & started to gather interest in several MX3's around .. hmm..<P>So went to see this one advertized as 'Beutiful car'. it's done 106,000 miles (uk). Bodywork seems great.(black). no stereo just wires hanging out. No history or owners manual. seems to drive ok. My 1st impression coming from the celica was 'a Slow take up from start off' never driven a 1.8 V6 before so maybe it's a revs thing or old engine?.. one concern I have is quite a noticable noise when you put the clutch in (tinkle tinkle kind of noise) he couldn't here it ??. when the clutch was out it whent away. I did not have time to investigate more as it was dark and a pressure buy, as someone else was hovering about ready to buy it.. So I bought It (collecting it tuesday), after finding this great forum i'm well made up. Any Info thanks. :)
Jonathanfil

Re: Just bought MX3 V6 (92) is this a lemon ?

Post by Jonathanfil »

CONGRATS!!! First of all Mx-3's are never lemons... even if they dont run. Just playin with ya. Anyways I got a 93 GS and I have never had to do any major work to it to keep it up cept replace the water pump. But to be honest with you. You made a smart choice the mazda engine is a great block and very reliable. Ive raced it and then the following day drive to Ohio and back in one weekend for a show from Md. No problem. Besides you came to the right family... we'll take care of ya. Enjoy your ride and dump some $$$$ into it already!!<BR> Peace - Jon ;)
GO FAST, LOOK GOOD.
spicy

Post by spicy »

I don't know much about cars, but I can tell you from reading these boards, that any problem you may have will probably have been had before. I noticed a lot of people having a lot of the same problems. So even if soemthing is kooky..you'll definitly find out waht you need to here.
pjh

Post by pjh »

Thanks guys much appreciated.
Phil
Q187

Post by Q187 »

There's some major motor swaps that can be done to the MX-3. Save up for a KL-ZE and you'll forget about your Celica in NO time. ;)
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

damn celicas..
a toyota club around here is always talkin crap about my mx3, i'll never respect celicas again!<p>supra = nice :)
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
markV6

Post by markV6 »

Hey PJ you in the UK?
I'm in England and just bought a 1.8 V6 SE.... and she's a beauty.
I did a similar come down to you> I had a 2 litre MR2 Beams race tuned slamming 200 bhp, but I love the MX3 it's a great car.
If your in England I'm gonna try setting up some kind of club or summit so let me know!!!!
pjh

Post by pjh »

HI markV6, Yes I'm in the North West (Wirral).<p>I got mine few weeks ago. (V6 106K miles) and It's also in great condition. I'm starting to get in to it more now I love that Whoosh! you get when you wind it up. I had not even herd of them a few weeks ago!. It's a great looking car, just a few minor little things to get sorted and maybe a cv joint poss?.<p>Good luck
Thanks
PJH
dancake

Post by dancake »

I have only just got mine too guys. And same as that #: didnt know what one looked like. truth told I wanted an MX-5 but couldnt afford it. Assuming a MX-3 looked like and MX-5, i took a look and glad I did. My 1.8V6 doesnt quite have the grunt of my old car but its a lot more fun
MX-3 1.8 V6, 120000 miles. Aqua green metallic.My car domain page is here. http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=395842&page=2
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Man, you're digging through the archives, aren't you? :D <p>Anyway, the MX-3 doesn't have much grunt with the 1.8L, but it's a great little motor and loves to rev. If you ever go back to a 4-cyl you'll hate the harshness compared to the smooth V6. Every day I smile when the tach passes 5 grand or so, the car makes great sounds and if you keep the revs up all the time it's an incredible performer (but your fuel economy goes to ****.)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”