1992 mx3 valve stem seals

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valk1317
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

1992 mx3 valve stem seals

Post by valk1317 »

This has been an ongoing problem with this car for some time now, but we want to sell it and maybe fixing this will help.
The car will start and pump out white smoke.for a good few minutes until it warms.up sufficiently. Its not a small job for the v6 but if.I could change the seals and stop the belching smoke might have better.luck getting rid of it.
Does anyone know the part number and where I can get in canada? I guess ill need other stuff too. Might as well do timing belt and intake manifold gasket ect ect.
No one wants it for $500 even with new tires lol.
mitmaks

Re: 1992 mx3 valve stem seals

Post by mitmaks »

You can buy new stem seals on rockauto.com or even ebay. If I were to go though all the labor of replacing them I'd keep the car.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

you might have a slightly leaking head gasket if it's white smoke. water/coolant. Had a B6 that did that, was fine when it warmed up.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

Possibly. Though I haven't had to top off the coolant in years. Tough call. Sometimes it looks blue and other white.
Would be a shame to recycle the car as it drives well and has been reliable. Too bad the recycler won't take it wheelless lol. Those new tires hurt.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Buy some steelies or cheap rims on craigslist or at a jy, and sell your own with new tires
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

Looks like I've found a place to store it for some months. Ill keep it until I finish up the mods planned for my msp this spring/summer. Will be down for a month or so.

I might change the seals and do some maint on this car to drive it for that month. Then I could probably sell it for $6-800 maybe.

Still sucks to do the seals but ill just pull the heads and bring em home with me. Work on the bench in my office instesd of rushed in the cold unlit carport.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So changing valve stems, valve springs and keepers removed and replaced, installing the heads and cams and then retining that thing for 800 bucks? Head gaskets, stem seals, timing belt and head bolts would cost more then the value it would add to the car. Where are you located? Maybe a forum member would pick it up?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

http://m.ebay.com/itm/140480218062?nav=SEARCH

My time is free lol. Got a few months before I need to drive it.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Are you gonna reuse timing components and head bolts? In that case be sure to sell it before you have head sealing issues from 18+ year old head studs.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Head bolts can be reused if within specs. They are high tensile bolts. I changed mine but I think the old ones were fine.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

ill have to do some research before i buy anything but it seems like most of the parts ill need are available on ebay for pretty cheap. this isn't a NICE mx3 by any means. but it has been reliable and safe, we just replaced it with another 2003 protege as its more child friendly for her.

i was willing to go as low as $350 but people spending this low amount of money on a car are not surprisingly cheap and haggle a lot. i just spent the $550 on those tires and got two weeks on em before i said phuc it and baught her a different car lol.

but.. its fortunate.

if i can stop the smoking, i can rely on it for a month or two while i bomb proof my MSPs transmission, replace the differential, do the timing belt, replace turbo manifold and downpipe and probably exhaust... who knows.. all s--- that will involve considerable downtime doing by myself. so doing while the tranny is in the states for modification.

i could probably say screw the head gaskets and timing belt but the belt has to come off anyway. having the heads out of the car would make it tons easier to change the seals without having to crawl up on top of the car for the backside ones.

i haven't done a job like this before. dropped trans and totally rebuilt it myself, so i have no fear about these things. as long as there is some information on the internet about it, i have no fear about doing pretty much anything unless the tool cost is too high.

ive set the budget for $250-$300 on ebay to stop this smokey banch.
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

so looking around ebay, it looks like most of the headgasket kits come with all the seals and gaskets needed to rebuild most of the top end. though the prices vary quite a lot from $80 usd to $311 usd. are there any brands i should avoid? this is not a hp build, just to oem spec and will eventually be sold on to someone else who in all likelihood will drive it til it blows up without care.
car has 240km.
looks like i could easily meet my budget of $300 to totally rebuild the car assuming the bottom end is good..
what about ignition. should i change the distro as well or do they really wear out? car has aftermarket wires and i just changed the plugs, but the car spews so bad they are all fouled already =\
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Get eristic or CNS gasket kit. They worked well enough for me.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

so one of these

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/92-94-MAZDA-MX3- ... mtr&_uhb=1

and one of these

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Engine-Timing-Be ... mtr&_uhb=1

having trouble finding headbolts that specify k8 compatability, would kl bolts work?

this is actually a very good primer for working on my msp in a more elaborate capacity. ive had it 5 years and havent even popped the valve cover lol.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

do you have to pull off heads to change valve stem seals or can it be done right on the car?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”