Poor heat, heater core?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx3forever

Poor heat, heater core?

Post by Mx3forever »

Since this car seemed to have poor heat for a while now, I decided to clean out the heater core before winter.
Got it cleaned out and the car does have some decent heat now. Not piping hot but warm.

However, one thing I have noticed is that when the car is at stop, idle, the heat coming out becomes luke warm.
Once I pull back off again the air coming out starts to heat up again.

Does this point to any particular issue? I've been wondering if it could be a thermostat problem.....
But, the engine temp gauge never alters, it's steady in the center.

Thanks
N
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Poor heat, heater core?

Post by SuperK »

some of those fail safe thermostats stick open. Some open at a colder temperature than others. I would get a thermostat that opens at a hotter temperature. some are like 160 vs 180/190.
but it's a cheap and easy solution to test.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
[LVPA]93GsSe
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

Did you check coolant level?
Knowing you've spent too much on your car,
yet, you still want to keep modding. -priceless
^
|
boosted_bullet

93 Honda Accord LX - Wrecked
95 Honda Del Sol Si - Stolen
92 Honda Accord EX - Parted out
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - Cracked block and broken differential teeth
93 SE - ATX to MTX, work as always in progress
01 Toyota Celica GTS - DD

Worklog to be up soon, still... ...
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

[LVPA]93GsSe wrote:Did you check coolant level?
Yeah, I had to top the coolant off after flushing out the heater core. It lost some coolant when it was disconnected and blown out with compressed air and CLR.

Afterwards, I also left the radiator cap off for a bit to try to get any air out of the system.

It does seem like this car takes longer than normal to warm up in winter weather, I have to drive it for a few minutes before it gets to normal temperature.
I'm wondering if the thermostat is locked into some sort of open position.
[LVPA]93GsSe

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

Hmmm? I'm not sure, if I think of anything I'll post up. maybe cleaning the core fins? Sorry, I think about the more odd stuff first.
Knowing you've spent too much on your car,
yet, you still want to keep modding. -priceless
^
|
boosted_bullet

93 Honda Accord LX - Wrecked
95 Honda Del Sol Si - Stolen
92 Honda Accord EX - Parted out
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - Cracked block and broken differential teeth
93 SE - ATX to MTX, work as always in progress
01 Toyota Celica GTS - DD

Worklog to be up soon, still... ...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

My roommate had a aftermarket spectra radiator that didn't seem to perform as well as the OEM one as far as circulating coolant.
Beyond that, the thermostat is so easy to change out and is a good routine maintenance item, might as well go a head and take care of that anyways.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

How old is your water pump. Sounds like what was happening before mine went out. Does your temp guage climb a little when stopped for an extended period of time.
Kakarot 135
Frost881

Post by Frost881 »

Thermostat would also be my first guess, also its important to note that the coolant temp. gauge isn't as representative of the actual temp. as one might think.

The stock gauge is really more of a rough estimate than a precision measurement. As long as the coolant temp is within a set operating range your probably not going to see it fluctuate very much if at all.
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

Well, here we are again in freezing temps two years later and for anyone else having this issue, I never have figured it out yet!

Since my original post, I have replaced the thermostat with a 180 one. In the process, I cracked an original thermostat housing and had the fun expense of replacing it (not before trying unsuccessfully to repair the first with JB Weld). Having both thermostats out of the car, I went ahead and tested them both in a pot of boiling water. No issues evident with either thermostat, but I went ahead and left the new one in it.

My car still behaves as it did two years ago. When the engine temp reads halfway up, the heat blowing is only Luke Warm at Idle. When you drive and the RPMS increase, the heat blowing out becomes hotter. Back down to idle and the heat lowers again.

Even though I flushed out the entire cooling system including the heat core back in 2014, I'm wondering if I just need a new heater core or if there is something about the temperature controls. Although, I'm not sure if that would explain heat levels that go up and down with the RPM.

One thing that was odd this summer was that my engine went hot. I had to add 44 oz of coolant to the car, but haven't noticed it leaking/dripping. Could the heater core leak in such a way that you wouldn't even notice it?
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

Whats you coolant mixture?
Also my neighbor did CLR in his Mini and it made more of a mess than clearing it out because it left alot of sludge in his coolant system after flushing it straight with a hose for an hour. So your cooling system could still be just as clogged as before.
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

Sounds like your water pump. Higher RPMs=More flow. The B6 series engine seems to be "overcooled"... I'm guessing because it was originally boosted and that caused excess heat. Maybe its time to do a water pump/timing belt replacement? New parts never hurt. ;)
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny
90 Miata w/ b6, Konig Lightspeed rims, Cams (boost to come soon)
74 Porsche 914 w/ 1.8L - restoration prooject

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”