1.6 SOHC alternator upgrade 90amp to 110 amp PLUG QUESTION

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

1.6 SOHC alternator upgrade 90amp to 110 amp PLUG QUESTION

Post by wednesdayslatest »

so i got the spindle replaced. i was reading on the forums....i got an underpulley kit for a DOHC and since i got an SOHC i have no idea what goes where. though the pulley kit came with 2 pulleys a really small one which i think goes on the alternator and the other im not sure i thought to assume its where the biggest pulley is but that had two pulleys on it so im assuming i wont be able to use that pulley at all? or maybe i can only use the pulley for the alternator only...regardless if no one can answer this thats fine just a thought...

onto the real question

now the plug on my SOHC RS is two but the alternator i got has three. im only assuming one is a ground the other two are a positive....how can i make this work? even if i was to find a donor car (which idk exactly what year make and model would have the exact same plug) i still would have three wires to deal with. i know that getting the plug would make it much cleaner but if there is any way anyone knows that i can make this plug work please tell me i need to replace the alternator so i can put my amps in ive been stalling but now that im not im realizing a few things that are going to stop me
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: 1.6 SOHC alternator upgrade 90amp to 110 amp PLUG QUESTI

Post by RobMinhas »

Dude, work on the grammar and spelling. It hurt my head trying to decipher that.

Now it seems like you have an under pulley kit with two pulleys, with one that is smaller and one that is larger. IT also seems the larger one is a single pulley unlike the b6 crank pulley that has two pulleys built into one.

The crank pulley can't be split in half unless you cut it so it seems like the only way you can fun the aftermarket crank pulley you have is to delete the power steering on your car. My guess is that this kit was made for a 323 without power steering(meaning it ran off one belt rather then two) which is why it's incompatible with your engine.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

The B6, the BP, even the K8 and KL all used the same 2 wire plug on the alternators.
You most likely got the wrong alternator. Deal with the seller.

No idea on the pulley thing.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
wednesdayslatest

okay well the seller said it was for the DOHC not the SOHC well see what happens when i do the motorswap later on

now someone on the forums told me to get a mazda millenia 110 amp alternator so thats what i got i got this alternator a while back so i cant do anything about it now my question was is there any way to makeshift this alternator to work

now if anyone has any other information to answer my question please do let me know which of the 3 pins is negative and which two or one is positive i can make the connections and wrap it up its not a big deal i just need to know which way to rout the electrical current
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Look it up in the V6 faq. follow the same info for upgrading. You will have to do a little more as it seems you are going to a 3 prong along with the v6 alt swap. You will have to look at both FAQ's to get it all straight, but it will work. in the v6 FAQ there are links to buy the plug needed. I just tapped my extra 12v to the dizzy, you need to run it to a switched 12v source to function.

The extra pulley you have should work, unless you have going from V belt to Serpentine style belt.

http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54887
wednesdayslatest

Josh wrote:I just tapped my extra 12v to the dizzy, you need to run it to a switched 12v source to function.

whats a dizzy?

The extra pulley you have should work, unless you have going from V belt to Serpentine style belt.

no im not and i will try to use my pulley for the alternator at least,thank you very much for that clarification im definitely going to use it now

i just read the topic thanks a lot and i really cant find the plug online so i have to call this place they listed
Last edited by wednesdayslatest on May 8th, 2013, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

This is the 4cyl forum. You're running a 1.6L 4 cyl engine right. The Milli is a V6. That alternator doesn't mount the same as yours. You can't use it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

What Josh said was that the extra wire needs to be tapped to a 12v source that is switched, meaning it gets a 12v signal when the key is turned to the on position. The dizzy bit he mentioned was that he tapped the switched 12v to a wire from his dizzy, which is 12v switched.

You're in over your head if you don't know what a 12v switched source is.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
wednesdayslatest

wytbishop wrote:This is the 4cyl forum. You're running a 1.6L 4 cyl engine right. The Milli is a V6. That alternator doesn't mount the same as yours. You can't use it.
for whatever reason it does and im putting it in all i need is the plug read the last post before mine the topic he linked has all the info that i was requesting
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Wyt just thought you were confused wether your engine was 24 v(alve) or not, which is much more reasonable then what you actually asked.
wednesdayslatest

not exactly it was a 110 amp alternator for MY car but it was a PLUG question its still my RS wire harness either way this thread reached its ending i got my answer lol
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

wytbishop wrote:This is the 4cyl forum. You're running a 1.6L 4 cyl engine right. The Milli is a V6. That alternator doesn't mount the same as yours. You can't use it.
It does fit. This was one of the first mods I did to my RS. As long as it is a 1.6L or newer BP it will work. The older BP's uses a V-belt pulley. All that is needed is to swap what side the bolt enters the base mount. so instead of the bolt going in this way ---> [] it will now go in this way []<--- from looking at the top of the alt. If you use a milly alt then you will need to run the 3rd wire to a switched 12v source as said above.

If you have a V belt system you are kind of SOL. The shaft on the v6 alt's are larger in diameter and the pulleys cannot swap. Unless you have one made, machined, or find a ribbed pulley from a 2nd gen N/A RX7 i believe. I machined mine out to swap on a V belt pulley.

This is a must do swap if you are running any kind of stereo system, and want to upgrade your alt on the cheep.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Look at me learning something after 8 years...thanks Josh.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

We all do^^^ ;)

There used to be a list of upgrades for the RS from the GS in the FAQ before we migrated over to the "newer" forum. seems a lot of that older info got lost in transition.
wednesdayslatest

Josh wrote:We all do^^^ ;)

There used to be a list of upgrades for the RS from the GS in the FAQ before we migrated over to the "newer" forum. seems a lot of that older info got lost in transition.

well if theres somthing that i do like if i ever find the damn horn wire ill try to make walkthrough for that. you never know whos gonna have the same problem i really dont wanna spend 60 dollars on some book then another 50 on the other i dont got money for that lol i just got the alternator plug in today im going to put it in now just gotta get the wire color codes then im set

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”