Correct TPS kohm readings?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
dwh1

Correct TPS kohm readings?

Post by dwh1 »

I've tested TPS's from a few different engines all coming from rs's and the highest reading I get when fully open is approximately 3.4 Kohm and .500 when completely closed on all of them. Does anyone elses TPS go higher? I ask because I obviously suspect a faulty TPS and the book states approximately 5 kohm when open and 1 kohm when closed but my "double checking" is only confusing the matter. It is possible all the engines have bad TPS's just as well as a bad print in the book. So what's yalls readings?
crazycanadian

Re: Correct TPS kohm readings?

Post by crazycanadian »

dwh1 wrote:I've tested TPS's from a few different engines all coming from rs's and the highest reading I get when fully open is approximately 3.4 Kohm and .500 when completely closed on all of them. Does anyone elses TPS go higher? I ask because I obviously suspect a faulty TPS and the book states approximately 5 kohm when open and 1 kohm when closed but my "double checking" is only confusing the matter. It is possible all the engines have bad TPS's just as well as a bad print in the book. So what's yalls readings?
ohming a TPS wont tell you if its bad or not... TPS develop flat spots that you can not see with a standard volt meter... measuring base and max ohms is an extremely ineffective test...

... 5Kohms would be a value that you might get if the TPS was off the car and you manually turned it all the way... You wont always get a full sweep while the tps is installed due to how the throttle linkages are designed..

why do you think your tps is bad???
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Correct TPS kohm readings?

Post by Ryan »

also, potentiometers behave in strange ways.

I've never seen an OE TPS fail on these. I'd quit looking just on statistics.

What are the symptoms that are making you suspect TPS?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”