Power steering pump help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Power steering pump help

Post by mitmaks »

There's leak somewhere around pump/hoses. I will put some dye to help me find it. I think pump might need replaced, maybe hoses as well. Maybe it's simple as replacing washers. I was trying to see how I'd remove pump but looks like its major pita, there's no room under the car to work on it. I don't have a lift, just jack and stands.
Anyone have suggestions or how you did it if you've done it before. Thanks.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
WhiteFinish

Re: Power steering pump help

Post by WhiteFinish »

I used a small bottle of " leckweck" . Amazing stuff that solved my leak !
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

WhiteFinish wrote:I used a small bottle of " leckweck" . Amazing stuff that solved my leak !
:lol: :lol: im sure that stuff is no where near north america. I bet we have something just as good.

My old PS pump on my K8 was the leakiest thing this side of the Mississippi. My PS pulley on my KLZE just stripped off so we are replacing the pump today with the same tools you have. Ill take tons of notes and let you know whats up :)
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
davmac

Post by davmac »

I did this a couple years ago. It wasn't that bad. My pump was making grinding noises so I thought the pump was bad. Normally you remove the pulley before you remove the pump. The grinding noises were because the pulley had stripped on the pump shaft. So removing the pulley was not possible in the confined space. It is still possible to remove the pump. You just have to remove the bolts that hold the brackets to the engine block. The front bracket is the one with the idler pulley and adjuster. 2 - 3 bolts that will be a little tricky if you can't remove the steering pump pulley. The tricky one is the back bracket. You should be able to find a single bolt that holds the bracket to the engine block. IIRC you have to do this by feel because it is nearly impossible to get your head back there. Maybe you could get creative with a mirror.
Check out the bracket pictures in this how to rebuild the pump writeup.
The online manual here is also good.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Thanks, that's a good rebuild write-up.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

davmac wrote:I did this a couple years ago. It wasn't that bad. My pump was making grinding noises so I thought the pump was bad. Normally you remove the pulley before you remove the pump. The grinding noises were because the pulley had stripped on the pump shaft. So removing the pulley was not possible in the confined space. It is still possible to remove the pump. You just have to remove the bolts that hold the brackets to the engine block. The front bracket is the one with the idler pulley and adjuster. 2 - 3 bolts that will be a little tricky if you can't remove the steering pump pulley. The tricky one is the back bracket. You should be able to find a single bolt that holds the bracket to the engine block. IIRC you have to do this by feel because it is nearly impossible to get your head back there. Maybe you could get creative with a mirror.
Check out the bracket pictures in this how to rebuild the pump writeup.
The online manual here is also good.
It looks tricky removing lines from p/s pump, looks like real tight space. How did you do it?
davmac

Post by davmac »

I think I was able to get to the pressure line banjo bolt from above with a long extension. Most of the work is from below and through the passenger tire / wheel well.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the passenger side front tire.
3. Remove the passenger side splash shield.
4. I think it was necessary to remove the transverse member for access. Remove the 4 transverse member (rear cross member) bolts and remove the transverse member.
5. Drain the steering fluid reservoir with turkey baster as best you can. Still be ready for a mess when disconnecting the fluid lines from the pump.
6. Remove the high pressure line banjo bolt.
7. Disconnect the power steering pump pressure switch.
8. Loosen the adjusting bolt and remove the power steering pump belt.
9. Remove the return line by loosening the hose clamp and pulling the hose off.
10. Remove the power steering pump pulley. Sstick a screwdriver through the pulley to brace it and get a socket on the pump shaft pulley bolt.
11. Remove the front bracket from the engine block. Or, if you were able to get the pulley off then remove the 3 bolts holding the pump to the front bracket (with idler pulley).
12. Remove the single bolt holding the back bracket to the engine block.
13. Remove the power steering pump.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Sounds like a weekend project. Is it worth getting rebuild kit and doing it myself rather than getting rebuilt one? Does rebuild kit come with bearing (it looks like in the picture). This should be stickied for future reference.
davmac

Post by davmac »

My preference is to install a professionally rebuilt pump. These tend to last a long time so even a low mileage used one with no signs of leaking would be a good idea. I understand that there is some honor and cost saving to rebuilding yours, but that would be my last choice. If you don't rebuild these often it can be easy to make a small mistake that requires you remove and install the pump more than once. I'm also a big fan of rockauto where you can get a rebuilt unit for a reasonable price.
Be aware that you'll have to transfer over the pressure switch and hard line from your old pump. It is a good idea to get some new o-rings for those and new crush washers for the pressure line - they were not included with my rebuilt pump.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”