Anti-Drop Bracket help

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MazdaMan1991
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Anti-Drop Bracket help

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

so im having troubles with my anti drop bracket the previous owner fabricated and installed, all in all it snapped.. so i flipped it around to butt it up against the bottom of the shifter and its been holding...now the movement of the shifter and tranny and engine and all that is pushing back on the bracket and slowly bending it....can i just weld it to the plate that it sits against? or should i just make a stronger bracket?
My Mazdas
2008 Mazda 3 FS auto - Totaled
1994 Mazda 626 KL 5 spd - sold
2002 Mazda Millenia S - sold
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS 5 spd - bp swapped
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Re: Anti-Drop Bracket help

Post by wednesdayslatest »

im not sure what your talking about. but if the bracket that your using was MADE then just weld it to somthing that wont effect the car or you changing out parts cuz you might have to brake the weld in order to do somthing else

or you can make another bracket that will fit perfectly. upto you if you want to work on a new bracket or just micky mouse the one you already have but just remember even if you weld it its not perminant so you might have to get another bracket up in there anyways. but if its bother sum weld that then make another one for later so your not SOL when the weld brakes
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

wednesdayslatest wrote:im not sure what your talking about. but if the bracket that your using was MADE then just weld it to somthing that wont effect the car or you changing out parts cuz you might have to brake the weld in order to do somthing else

or you can make another bracket that will fit perfectly. upto you if you want to work on a new bracket or just micky mouse the one you already have but just remember even if you weld it its not perminant so you might have to get another bracket up in there anyways. but if its bother sum weld that then make another one for later so your not SOL when the weld brakes
Again, answering posts you have no idea WTF your talking about.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wednesdayslatest

Daninski wrote:
wednesdayslatest wrote:im not sure what your talking about. but if the bracket that your using was MADE then just weld it to somthing that wont effect the car or you changing out parts cuz you might have to brake the weld in order to do somthing else

Again, trolling and not help fix the problem.

Less criticizing and more helping your giving no input to "show me up"
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wednesdayslatest wrote:im not sure what your talking about.
Well that's the first problem. There's a whole 10-Page thread in itself about it:
http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=44745

It's a bracket that's made to support the shifter when the original bushing lets go. The bracket is a support, but it designed to let the shifter freely move since it's connected directly to the trans with linkages rather than a cable shift system, so it needs to be able to move with the shifting of the motor.
wednesdayslatest wrote:if the bracket that your using was MADE
As opposed to being born, or just popped out and installed itself out of thin air.
wednesdayslatest wrote:then just weld it to somthing that wont effect the car or you changing out parts cuz you might have to brake the weld in order to do somthing else.
Well the point of the design of the bracket was that it was a bolt-in affair, cause few people here have, or have access to a welder.
wednesdayslatest wrote:or you can make another bracket that will fit perfectly. upto you if you want to work on a new bracket or just micky mouse the one you already have
No s---, that's exactly what he's asking.
wednesdayslatest wrote:just remember even if you weld it its not perminant
Holy s---, better get the Loctite, Hot Melt and Zip Ties out cause the world is going to fall apart!

If the weld doesn't hold, it's a poor weld
If the bracket doesn't hold, it's either insufficient (not heavy duty enough for the job) or of a poor design
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wednesdayslatest

well that was very informative. i never knew but you know what im going to be switching to a short shifter and my car is all rusted. so in all reality i might need one of these brackets on the thread you shared, i dont have access to a machine shop or welder so id rather just buy the bracket from someone. thanks for clearing that up (ive heard of welds breaking or being old and breaking but i dont weld myself so i wouldnt know anything about a bad weld)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

wednesdayslatest wrote:
Daninski wrote:

Again, trolling and not help fix the problem.

Less criticizing and more helping your giving no input to "show me up"
You need to stop chiming in when you have NO experience, NO knowledge and NO clue, you just make sh*t up and pass it off as an answer.

Anyway;

You can buy one or have a piece of 1/8 inch X 1 inch steel flat bar bent. The anti drop bracket looks like a step. Bolts up and rests under your shifter. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Ok, took me 15 seconds to search this. http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... p&start=60 It doesn't have to be that fancy either.

That Mr wednesdayslacker is how you answer a post. 8)
Last edited by Daninski on May 27th, 2013, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wednesdayslatest

Daninski wrote:You can buy one or have a piece of 1/8 inch X 1 inch steel flat bar bent. The anti drop bracket looks like a step. Bolts up and rests under your shifter. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Ok, took me 15 seconds to search this. http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... p&start=60 It doesn't have to be that fancy either.
it helps when you know exactly what your searching for, im used to google but if you dont have the right keywords it will take forever until you find the correct keywords ill be back on here after i get the shifter and after i get to take a look at it ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271012889126?ss ... 1423.l2649

im not sure if there is a better one then this thats cheaper or what not but i have no bearings in my shifter (somehow i think just putting bearings back in will make it feel better but then again the shifter might be too far gone)

the reason why i chose this one is that it had the bearings and the bushings for the side to keep it clean
wednesdayslatest

also the bottom of my current shifter doesnt look like this...

this is more like a cylinder the ralco one looks a little more like mine (a bubble looking thing)

not sure if that makes any difference or not or what (the civic short shifter i put in look more like this picture, cylindrical)
MazdaMan1991
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

I actually fabbed my own bracket I forgot to post pictures but its on my worklog
My Mazdas
2008 Mazda 3 FS auto - Totaled
1994 Mazda 626 KL 5 spd - sold
2002 Mazda Millenia S - sold
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS 5 spd - bp swapped
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The correct answer is to avoid the use of the anti drop bracket altogether.

The shifter mechanism is a two part system. The Shift Rod and the Stabilizer Bar. The stabilizer bar is the part that needs to be replaced. You can get one out of any MX-3 or a 91-94' Protégé. $10 at any junkyard.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

wytbishop wrote:The correct answer is to avoid the use of the anti drop bracket altogether.

The shifter mechanism is a two part system. The Shift Rod and the Stabilizer Bar. The stabilizer bar is the part that needs to be replaced. You can get one out of any MX-3 or a 91-94' Protégé. $10 at any junkyard.

I'm not sure I agree. As our cars get older it's getting more difficult to find them in junkyards. Maybe this is different in Canada, but in the US, they are getting pretty rare. Then even if you find one that part of the stabilizer bar often wears out on our cars, so what you get at a salvage yard may be just as bad as your original. Why not use an anti drop bracket?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I just can't stand using makeshift solutions when good useable OEM parts are available...At least here they are.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

In spirit I agree with you, kind of a "use the right tool for the job" kind of thing. But as I said here in the US that's getting to be a hard philosophy to live be when working with the MX-3.
wednesdayslatest

i have to agree the US its really really hard to find ANYTHING for my SOHC now, if you CAN find a junkyard one thats good or ebay thats good id get the part if not then id resort to makeshift something, it sucks to do but sometimes you can make things better then the manufacture.

Return to “Transmissions”