dash lights works opposite

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
windofire
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

dash lights works opposite

Post by windofire »

hey guys :)
i've been driving my mx allmost 12000 km's since i swaped the ze in and the only problem so far has been a wheel bearing ;)

BUT now my car i acting wierd. when i put the keys in the ignition and turn the key the battery, abs, light and oil lamp doesnt turn on, but when i start the car they do and i can see on my radio that the voltage is dropping slowly (it has a built in voltage gauge). besides that i also hear a humming noise for a few sec when i turn on ignition, it sounds like its from an electric motor in the engine bay but i cant remember if its normal ;)

it did it yesterday too and suddenly those lamps turned off and was acting normal again till to night. i've checked the fuses, ground wires and such but it seems okay. any suggestions?

i will upload a video tomorrow so that you guys can see what i mean.
Black Mx3 GS
ZE swapped with kl36 ecu and Exedy oem clutch, Fidanza flywheel, 2.5" stainless exhaust, Ebay headers, 8mm sparkplug wires and Denso iridium sparkplugs, Rockspeed CAI, 17x8 wheels, 235/40 Goodyear eagle f1 as, Taroc japan sport discs and pads.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: dash lights works opposite

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

windofire wrote:when i put the keys in the ignition and turn the key the battery, abs, light and oil lamp doesnt turn on, but when i start the car they do
That should be normal. On ACC they shouldn't' be on, but your radio would work, but on ON (and of course after you start it), all the lights would go on than turn off. All should turn off if the motor is running, but if you just have it on ON without the motor running, you should get some lights, like Oil Pressire and maybe battery, I can't remember
windofire wrote:I can see on my radio that the voltage is dropping slowly (it has a built in voltage gauge)
What you mean? What voltage does it start at and what voltage does it drop down to? This happens after you start your car?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
windofire

Post by windofire »

The voltage starts at about 12v without the engine running and when its running it will slowly drop.

Heres a vid to see for your self

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7SrXeV ... ata_player
Black Mx3 GS
ZE swapped with kl36 ecu and Exedy oem clutch, Fidanza flywheel, 2.5" stainless exhaust, Ebay headers, 8mm sparkplug wires and Denso iridium sparkplugs, Rockspeed CAI, 17x8 wheels, 235/40 Goodyear eagle f1 as, Taroc japan sport discs and pads.
windofire

Post by windofire »

i've just checked the codes, theres a code 17 and a code 25
Black Mx3 GS
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

I dont think I would trust voltage from a head unit unless it is verified just in case. The best way to check is to start the car and use a multimeter on the battery. With the car running, it should be in the 14v range. Check to make sure your alt belt is tight and that all the connections to the alt are good. The buzzing sound usually relates to a bad ground somewhere.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
windofire

Post by windofire »

the voltage from my head unit is only 0,1 or 0,2 off, i've checked it with a multimeter ;)
my battery was tested yesterday and the course of those fault codes has been corrected.
it sounds like that buzzing sound is from somewhere below the battery or below brake booster but in the engine compartment and i can feel it vibrating the floor when sitting in drivers seat

i was going to check my alt. tomorrow, but how is the best way if i dont have a amp. meter up to 90A?
if my alt. fails, is there any common courses to that?
Black Mx3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”