retro fitting/fabercating superchargers? but how?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rickdiculous93
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

retro fitting/fabercating superchargers? but how?

Post by rickdiculous93 »

im not going to rush to this sence i jut have a stock 1.8 v6 and should wait for a klde motor to come my way but i wanna know... how the hell do you fabercate the eaton supercharger on these cars? in the soon to be future ( if the world doesnt end lol) build a nasty mx3. everyone seems to just go with turbo but id rather a supercharger for the pure fact that the turbo is goingcreate alot of lag. i just want to know the steps/instructions how the fabercating of this supercharger is done.i feel it would be interesting to know how people do it :)
Redline322

Re: retro fitting/fabercating superchargers? but how?

Post by Redline322 »

There are lots of threads dealing with this, even a guy selling the brackets for s/c v6 setup in the fs section. Most involve the old a/c location which is pretty well the only space to fit it. Check some of the worklogs and search and you should find all the info you need as well.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

With a proper sized turbo would give little to no lag, depends on how you drive and where you want your power. Supercharging is typically more expensive and more complex than turbocharging. I'm a fan of superchargers, I would like to go that route with the Rx8 one day, but the price is like 2-3x compared to a turbo kit. To buy a supercharger kit, I'd be looking at $8000 for a Pettit Racing kit, a Greedy turbo is $5000, Esmeril is $4200 or $5800 for the high HP.

There's only a few people that have supercharged a V6 Mx-3.
2 real sources I could point you to:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=74974&hilit=supercharger
http://www.mazdamaniac.com/main.htm

Having a K8 on your Mx-3 how, people really go the KL route, not just because it's a better platform for boost, but for the power gain, it's much, much more cost effective.

Research and piece together whatever kit pieces to build and boost your "nasty mx-3", but I'd look into a swap first, or have a KL on the side ready for when you blow the K8, lol
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=65897&start=180
There's another one for you ;)

I found it hard to get serious boost, probably get a k8 moving nicely though. Turbo lag is brilliant fun :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Dammit! I know I forgot someone!

Sorry :shock:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Lol :crying: I cried a little... No worries! Was fairly brief period, though I did try it again non intercooler with minimal piping. Still didn't get that much boost, plus it got too hot quickly.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
rickdiculous93
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by rickdiculous93 »

lol thx nd4spd ill be more then happy. how about thw turbos? where do those get mounted to reduce lag? i figure 2 different exhuast ports unless i get a turbo on both of them i will end up only producing half as much power. even if i did there would be lots of lagg. thats why i feel if i want to go with the supercharger ill get more of a constint power. but then again im still new to these cars so im just working off logic lol
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

rickdiculous93 wrote:lol thx nd4spd ill be more then happy. how about thw turbos? where do those get mounted to reduce lag? i figure 2 different exhuast ports unless i get a turbo on both of them i will end up only producing half as much power. even if i did there would be lots of lagg. thats why i feel if i want to go with the supercharger ill get more of a constint power. but then again im still new to these cars so im just working off logic lol
There's little information on twins cause it's barely been done. I dont think it's been done on an Mx-3. I remember hearing about a TT KL Probe years ago, but that was kept hush hush and he eventually wrecked it. A-Spec, a tuning company here in Ontario had a KL TT 323, I have a few pics of it around on another machine. Than you have this beast:

Your right, you can use smaller turbo's, and 2 of them, but each gets half the exhaust to feed them.

Depends on what size and what technology turbo. A cheap eBay turbo won't spool as well as a good real ball-bearing Garrett. Also, superchargers take power to make power too. Read on ProbeTalk to see their experience with turbos, there's much, much more FI cars over there than here.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”